Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions from a Newbie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions from a Newbie

How long do late payments stay on a credit report?  We had some trouble making payments back in August of 2004 but have been caught up since then.

There are 2 collections on my account that are incorrect.  I am going to dispute those but how long do those stay on your account if I can't get those removed?

Which agency has the best scores and who has the worst.  I just pulled mine from equifax and it is 677.  I would like to know if they are top, bottom or middle of the road.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions from a Newbie

Late payments and Collections can remain for up to 7 and 1/2 years from the date it first went delinquent.  Equifax is the highest score for me. But it is different for everybody.
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Late payments stay for 7 years, but slowly drop off in their effect as time wanders on.  But 90 and 60 day lates are the absolute killers, and can still hit you for -40 points after almost two years.  Monitor reproted collection accounts religiously. I have had two improper collection accounts removed from my report... it seems easy for the collectors to get them on there, and they backed down when challenged. Bankrputicies stay on for 10 years.  New credit inquiries are a big hit, but easy to remove in only one year.  Inquiries can cost you up to 85 points, with approx.  -10 pts for each inquiry within the last six months, and -5 pts for each inquiry withing 6-12 months.  So a big boost is to clear all credit inquiries by not having any within the last twelve months, giving you the max in this category or 85 points.  Overall strategy is simple: dont cancel existing cards, get % revolving util below 10%, dont apply for new credit in the two year window, DONT have any late payments, and have at least one installment loan to show credit mix, which is another 85 points which can be lost without proper credit mix..  But late payments are the ahcilles heel for most, so make at least the min!
Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's 7 years from 180 days after first delinquency. Thus, the 7 and 1/2 years is pretty close for the collection accounts.
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

RobertEG wrote:
Late payments stay for 7 years, but slowly drop off in their effect as time wanders on.  But 90 and 60 day lates are the absolute killers, and can still hit you for -40 points after almost two years.  Monitor reproted collection accounts religiously. I have had two improper collection accounts removed from my report... it seems easy for the collectors to get them on there, and they backed down when challenged. Bankrputicies stay on for 10 years.  New credit inquiries are a big hit, but easy to remove in only one year.  Inquiries can cost you up to 85 points, with approx.  -10 pts for each inquiry within the last six months, and -5 pts for each inquiry withing 6-12 months.  So a big boost is to clear all credit inquiries by not having any within the last twelve months, giving you the max in this category or 85 points.  Overall strategy is simple: dont cancel existing cards, get % revolving util below 10%, dont apply for new credit in the two year window, DONT have any late payments, and have at least one installment loan to show credit mix, which is another 85 points which can be lost without proper credit mix..  But late payments are the ahcilles heel for most, so make at least the min!

No one can say for sure how points can be gained or lost by any change in your CRs, period.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by fused111 on 07-20-2007 03:45 PM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information.  I guess I better start writing some letters!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.