Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding FICO Score and FICO 2008

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Questions regarding FICO Score and FICO 2008

Hi All!

I am confused about FICO 2008. Was this suppose to replace the FICO version already used or was this a new scoring model?

Also, I have read that there were some changes made on the FICO scoring model such as how charge cards (Amex) are being reported and how paid charge offs or collections are being reported so the date of last activity will not impact the score. Has this been impleted in FICO 2008 or the "regular" FICO?

Thanks for you answers!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions regarding FICO Score and FICO 2008

Yes FICO 2008 is the latest version of the FICO score. At some point it will replace the current verions of the score. Amex accounts that the terms of the account are the balance is due in full every month are excluded from the FICO credit utilzation calculation. Other Amex cards according to other posts are also excluded. Having a crad excluded can help or it can hurt. If  the small balance every month with a good credit limit if this account were included it would your credit utilization calculation. If you had high balance lets say 50% or more of credit limt here it helps. This is not new to FICO 08. A collection accounts under $100 you will not hurt your score. If you have multiple collection accounts the score model will penalize you more for this than before. Also how it treats AU accounts will also change. The impact is it will not be as much as in past FICO socre models but it will give you some credit for the account. The change in AU accounts is due to scam called "credit rental" you can search for it. I hope this helps.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

To add....there are different versions of FICO scores out there and there are different versions created for each CRA. For example, for TU, there's TU98, TU04, and TU08. Specifically, they are called FICO Risk Score...Classic 98, Classic 04, and Classic 08 I believe. Then there's Experian and the versions are called Fair Isaac Risk Model v2, v3? and so on. Then there's Beacon 5.0, Beacon 9.0 (FICO 08) for EQ and so on. And to complicate things, there are non-Classic FICO scores like industry enhanced scores (e.g. mortgage-enhanced, auto-enhanced, etc.) that score more heavily on one industry like cars or mortgages. Finally, there are other non-Classic scores like NextGen scores (e.g. Alliant CU uses it or USAA uses it for one of the 3 CRAs in their mortgage lending). Even though FICO 08 is available for any lender to use, virtually none of them are using them. In fact, most lenders are using a 2005 EQ version (Beacon 5.0...just like on myFICO). Most recently started using TU04 for TU (myFICO still uses TU98...as do some lenders still). And many lenders are still using an EX FICO version that is approaching 10 years old. Most tend to stick with what works I guess and are slow to adopt the new flavors (er, um versions).

Message 3 of 4
sjt
Senior Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated!

I understand scoring models geared towards mortgages and auto loans, but I can't understand why the credit scoring system has other types of models. Its to bad it can not be more uniformed for consistency. If some models put charge cards (like Amex charge and Diners) in a separate category and some put in the utilization rate. There can be a big difference in ones score.

Also, how are paid collections/charge offs handled. I read that paying these type of accounts can initially hurt your score.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.