Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random 26 point drop??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Random 26 point drop??

I logged in today to see that I had a random, significant drop in my Equifax score.

Nothing has actually changed, the last update was on January 30th where I paid off the balance of one of my cards, and the score increased by 2 points.

The update today is "Your FICO score has decreased from 727 to 701".  The reason for it is "You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit."

Wait, what?  I have a 13% average utilization.. the highest single util is 38%, but it has been there for two weeks.  This one is high because of a 0% interest deal going on with that purchase.  There is no other data or changes in the last 11 days.

My AAoA is 10 months, so I did not think that I hit some sort of rebucket issue... what in the world happened?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Random 26 point drop??

There is no random drop..has to be something.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fully agree, but I see no other activity anywhere near it that would explain this..  The other two scores, and those on CK and Mint are unaffected.. just EQ on myFICO.

Message 3 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

Did your credit history length cross a full-year threshold?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, that is a good point.. my oldest account will hit 3 years old in 3 days..  

Message 5 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

I took an approximately 30 point hit when my oldest account turned 3 years old as well. I bet your score will recover when your AAoA reaches 1 year. Low AAoA coupled with much longer credit history implies you have lots of new credit which will be penalized.
Message 6 of 9
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

EQ is a PITA!

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 7 of 9
calangelo

We're trying to get my husband's credit score back up.  He has fewer accounts than me and they are newer, oldest about 3 years.  My average account age is much higher. If I make him an authorized user on my older cards, will that help increase his average age of account?

Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@calangelo wrote:

We're trying to get my husband's credit score back up.  He has fewer accounts than me and they are newer, oldest about 3 years.  My average account age is much higher. If I make him an authorized user on my older cards, will that help increase his average age of account?

Yes

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.