cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Confused - Credit History Established vs Short?

tag
tuckandroll
Valued Member

Really Confused - Credit History Established vs Short?

Hi,
I refreshed my FICO scores today and this to be really odd. Please help me understand if this is an error or not.

TU - Length of credit history HELPING my score = 11yrs 4mos  AAOA = 5yrs Score = 674

EQ - Length of credit hisory HURTING my score = 11yrs 4mos AAOA = 5yrs Sore = 646

Both have the same info calculating the same age of accounts and history but one helps and the other hurts?  HUH?

- 6/2012 - FICOs EX 550 TU 580
- Lots of work.....
- 9/20/12 - FICO EX 646 TU 692
- Dec 12 - Home purchase - Dec 14 Auto Purchase
- 6/10/13 - FICO EX 672 TU 690
- 1/22/15 FICO EQ 697 TU 732
It CAN happen to you!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Really Confused - Credit History Established vs Short?

You're likely in a different scoring bucket on TU over EQ. In comparison to everyone else in the same bucket in EQ, your history on average is higher than everyone else. In contrast on TU, your history is younger than everyone else.

Message 2 of 4
tuckandroll
Valued Member

I see now.  This is another one of those scoring lessons that I am being schooled in.   Thanks for the info llecs.  I wouldn't have figured that on my own.  I assume there is no way I can impact that factor at all.  Just like always hurry up and wait.  

- 6/2012 - FICOs EX 550 TU 580
- Lots of work.....
- 9/20/12 - FICO EX 646 TU 692
- Dec 12 - Home purchase - Dec 14 Auto Purchase
- 6/10/13 - FICO EX 672 TU 690
- 1/22/15 FICO EQ 697 TU 732
It CAN happen to you!
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

There's not too much you can do other than getting lucky with backdating as an AU or reviving an old Amex membership. There's plenty to do to avoid a lower history like adding accounts, closing accounts (10-yr clock starts), hastily doing something to lose old accounts, etc.

Over time if you compare, you'll see other contrasts like baddies listed being a neg. on one report but a positive on the other (with a reference that it's not hurting as much), or util being the same but hurting one but helping the other, etc.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.