Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Negative

tag
Smooth_J
New Contributor

Really Negative

Well I enrolled in a DMP program, and as part of the proposals they will cancel my cards that I have with creditors. So to make it look better on my credit reports I cancelled the cards myself (closed by consumer vs credit granter).

BoA  $24,000

Discover $9000

Chase $7500

I only have 2 other credit card remaining (not listed), but they are very low limits, and won't even come close what I had. 

I know this will affect my credit cause of the utilization, but how much will it affect it?

TU 650 and EQ 615, but they don't report some of the accounts being closed yet.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Really Negative

It won't really effect your UTIL. When a closed account has a balance both the CL and the balance are included in the UTIL calc. As for your FICO scores I wouldn't focus on them too much as you go through the DMP. You won't be app'ing credit anytime soon and have to focus on getting your feet back under you.
Message 2 of 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Really Negative

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
You won't be app'ing credit anytime soon and have to focus on getting your feet back under you.

Yes since the OP has a BofA account in the program and I can 100% guarantee they will remove their account from the program.  Ironically  BofA was the only CCC that didnt close my account when I entred and finished DMP, IMHO they forgot about it.

The TL comment has no effect on your FICO score and hasn't affected my ability to get credit and great interest rates.  Bottom line is dont close accounts even if you know that the OC may close them since you never know.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.