Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Old delinquencies - how to get removed from credit report

tag
breeo

Really Old delinquencies - how to get removed from credit report

Hello,

I have been working very hard at getting my credit score up (we want to buy a home). Much of my delinquencies were a very very long time ago. I know the rule of thumb is seven years and I beleive that many of these were much more than 7 years ago. How do I go about ensuring that these delinquencies are removed from my credit report? I am hoping for guidence in to how to read my credit report, determine which delinquencies should be removed, and then how to go about removing tham . Is there a company that does this? Do I call on my own? Has anyone had success doing this and then seeing an increase in their score? Thank you

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Really Old delinquencies - how to get removed from credit report

I would start by pulling all three credit reports through the $1 trial offer at Credit Check Total.  There are lots of people here familiar with its layout.  Then head over to the rebuilding forum to talk it through with the folks there.

I would be sure to print the 3B report out and make a couple copies.  Then take a red pen to it and start circling everything of interest and writing questions you might have in the margins.

You should cancel the trial within a few days of getting the report, but you can repeat the $1 trial every month.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 605(a) lists each type of adverse item of information that can be reported to a CRA, and the respective exclusion period for that item.

Specific and common items are identified in subsections (a)(1)-(a)(4), and any other item is covered under subsection (a)(5).

First, look up the exclusion period for each different adverse item.  For example, collections and charge-offs must become excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date the debt first became delinquent (see FCRA 605(a)(4), as clarified by 605(c)), civil judgements no later than 7 years from date of entry of the judgment if paid (FCRA 605(a)(2)), paid tax liens no later than 7 years from the date paid (FCRA 605(a)(3)); and monthly delinquencies each individually not later than 7 years from their dates of occurence (FCRA 605(a)(5))

As for what you must do to have the item(s) excluded, the answer is generally nothing if the reporting is accurate.

The CRAs are required to track the period of each derog and exclude from any credit reports they issue once the exclusion period for that derog has expired.  It is rare that the CRAs will fail to exclude derogs by their defined max exclusion date.  In fact, they normally exclude collections and charge-offs early, at approx 7 years from the reported DOFD rather than waiting for the full 7 years plus 180 days.

If you have a monthly delinquency that has a currently reported date of delinquency that is prior to December, 2010, it should have now been excluded by the CRA.  If the CRA has failed to exclude, which is rare, then you can informally contact the CRA or file a dispute with the CRA to get it removed.

Message 3 of 6
breeo

Thank you - a lot of terms I am not familiar with but I am eager to learn and appreciate the feedback. 

Message 4 of 6
breeo

What is a 3B report -- all 3 bureaus?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, all three reports merged into one.  Pull that report and head over to the Rebuilding forum.  They will begin walking you through how to make sense out of it all.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.