Reply
Established Member
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-12-2013
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!

Yes - I purchased 2 EQ FICOS for comparison. There are only 2 differences:

(1) I had no hard pulls on the first report, now I have one. 

(2) I have been paying down a credit line, so my utilization has decreased.

 

No accounts are reporting differently. The feedback that is being offered by FICO is that the balances on my installment loans (law school loans) are too high. They are high, but are a tiny bit lower than they were in february...there was no comment about my installment loans in the February report. Is it possible EQ is treating my student loans differently now?

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 32,869
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!

If rebucketed, FICO views and treats your accounts a bit differently. Weight of util can change. Weight of length of history/AAoA can change. Weight of new accts are different, etc.

 

When rebucketed, the pos/neg factors will change up.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,072
Registered: ‎02-06-2013
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!

     You all have such good fico scores compared with me. Reading this post sounds like kids arguing with the teacher over why they got an A- instead of an A on the test when I got a D lol.

390/14001100/13001500/15001699/2000Prepaid ,,Recent scores:FICO EX 632,EQ 635,TU 632.. If youlike this could you please give me a kudo by clicking that blue button over to the left? Thanks.Link to my Rebuild Log
Established Contributor
Posts: 599
Registered: ‎03-10-2012
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!

it looks like the 2 you pulled were in different months-which means every account on you report is 1 month older. Can you tell us the age of each account on the last report, and the age of each account on the most recent one pulled?

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Established Member
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-12-2013
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!


YahComb wrote:

it looks like the 2 you pulled were in different months-which means every account on you report is 1 month older. Can you tell us the age of each account on the last report, and the age of each account on the most recent one pulled?


In April

Average age of my accounts per MyFico: 3 years. 

CitiBank Personal Credit Line: 4 year 7 months (paying down--was at 90% utilization in Feb, now has 55% utilization)

Macy's Card: 2 years 6 months (zero balance)

Ann Taylor Card: 2 years 6 months (zero balance)

7 Student Loans opened in August 08, 09 and 10 (total is 128,000 -- these are "maxed" the original amount I borrowed was 110k but interest accrued while I was in law school)--I've been paying for 12 to 18 months on these depending on the loan.

I have a few closed accounts that are still reporting--oldest is 6 years, 9 months old. 

 

Does any of this suggest I was due to be rebucketed?

Here I was in February thinking my EQ score was golden and I just had to bring the others up so we could buy a home...and then my EQ score takes a dive. How quickly can I recover? 

 

 

Established Contributor
Posts: 599
Registered: ‎03-10-2012
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!


rina_b wrote:

YahComb wrote:

it looks like the 2 you pulled were in different months-which means every account on you report is 1 month older. Can you tell us the age of each account on the last report, and the age of each account on the most recent one pulled?


In April

Average age of my accounts per MyFico: 3 years. 

CitiBank Personal Credit Line: 4 year 7 months (paying down--was at 90% utilization in Feb, now has 55% utilization)

Macy's Card: 2 years 6 months (zero balance)

Ann Taylor Card: 2 years 6 months (zero balance)

7 Student Loans opened in August 08, 09 and 10 (total is 128,000 -- these are "maxed" the original amount I borrowed was 110k but interest accrued while I was in law school)--I've been paying for 12 to 18 months on these depending on the loan.

I have a few closed accounts that are still reporting--oldest is 6 years, 9 months old. 

 

Does any of this suggest I was due to be rebucketed?

Here I was in February thinking my EQ score was golden and I just had to bring the others up so we could buy a home...and then my EQ score takes a dive. How quickly can I recover? 

 

 


sorry i got you confused with OP.  i was looking for any accounts that might have hit certain milestones. i guess the point still remains. doesn't really look like anything was passing major miletones. guess im still stumped lol

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Member
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎06-07-2010
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!

How many buckets are there? Newest credit users bucket, Newer,New,Old,Older,Oldest...  Seriously is there just two?

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 32,869
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!


dzlqw4 wrote:

How many buckets are there? Newest credit users bucket, Newer,New,Old,Older,Oldest...  Seriously is there just two?


I believe there are a dozen for the version on here. The FICO08 versions added a couple of more buckets.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 173
Registered: ‎10-11-2007
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!

Besides rebucketing, another possible explanation for a sudden score drop, it seems to me, could be that the higher score might have been caused by a bug in the FICO software.  If they fixed such a bug, the score would go down to what it should have been in the first place.  I wonder how often they fix such bugs, and if there is any way for us to find out if we're impacted by such fixes.

 

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 32,869
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: Equifax score plummeted 31 point in a week!


axxy wrote:

Besides rebucketing, another possible explanation for a sudden score drop, it seems to me, could be that the higher score might have been caused by a bug in the FICO software.  If they fixed such a bug, the score would go down to what it should have been in the first place.  I wonder how often they fix such bugs, and if there is any way for us to find out if we're impacted by such fixes.

 


I doubt there are any bugs. It's one exact formula applied to everyone. Remember back in school learning the Pythagorean theorem? A (squared) + B (squared) = C (squared). If you calculated a math problem using that formula, and recalculated the same problem over and over and over again, you'll get the same answer everytime. There wouldn't be a glitch in your answer because the formula is the same. Likewise with FICO scoring, the formula is the same when it gets delivered on myFICO, to lenders, etc. Once created, they never edit it. One grade school wouldn't calculate the Pythagorean theorem any differently than another.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.