Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebucketing instant or delayed?

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Rebucketing instant or delayed?

I was just curious if the rebucketing process is instant or delayed? In other words, if you take an action that would cause rebucketing, does that happen as soon as the action takes place, or is there a delay?

For example, if someone has two collections on their report. If those two collections are deleted, would the person be rebucketed as soon as they come off the report, or does it take time?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebucketing instant or delayed?

I don't know for certain, but my assumption is that the first step in scoring is to assign a single bucket.

Once this is done, then the various weights and points for the bucket are applied to the information on the report.

If this is so, then rebucketing would be instantaneous.

This approach helps to explain why it's impossible to come up with magic point values that apply universally to every credit-related event such as hard pulls.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-Scoring-Buckets-or-quot-Scorecards-q...

Message 2 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the link U, that is very helpful. Based on reading your comments and the other thread (still going through it), it sounds like you are assigned a bucket during score generation. It also sounds like having derogs removed can have a very positive effect on your score. For example, having a collection would cause you to be in bucket #1 (worst), but getting that collection removed could cause you to bump up multiple buckets (assuming the collection was the only scoring criteria holding you back). Does that sound right?

Message 3 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

Thanks for the link U, that is very helpful. Based on reading your comments and the other thread (still going through it), it sounds like you are assigned a bucket during score generation. It also sounds like having derogs removed can have a very positive effect on your score. For example, having a collection would cause you to be in bucket #1 (worst), but getting that collection removed could cause you to bump up multiple buckets (assuming the collection was the only scoring criteria holding you back). Does that sound right?

Various events can cause you to change buckets.

But I'm not sure to what extent "moving up" helps you, in terms of overall score.  If a BK is removed, and you switch buckets, that's obviously good, but I'm not sure just how the weights and so on change.

I do know of one example on the negative side -- something like a 30-day late can really really clobber a person with an 800 score, who presumably is in one of the "top" buckets.

Message 4 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps it helps you along the lines of where your score caps? For example, assuming that the worst bucket is determined by someone having a collection, PR, or BK, that bucket might deterine that your scores could range from 350-665. So, even if your credit history is 20 years and you have 10 accounts with an AAoA of 10 years, that collection is going to keep you in the bottom bucket, which will prevent your score from increasing any further, regardless of other positive actions taken. Just throwing numbers out there, but is the concept sound?

Message 5 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

I need to think about this more.  What you are saying sounds plausible.

There are other non-negative issues with bucketing, for example the fact that a college student is probably in a different bucket than someone with 40 years of history.

It makes sense at a statistical level to group similar people into distinct classes, but I'm not sure of all the implications of doing so.

One obvious benefit is that one can develop norms for a class.  For example, this may explain why a 30-day late is so bad for someone in a top bucket with an 800 score -- such behavior is less expected than for a person who's just starting out with credit.  In both cases it's a negative, but perhaps there's more predictive value for future delinquency when the 800 person pays late.

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@msf: sigh, last time I try to type a response on my phone but yes your concept is sound. There are lots of buckets though and we don't know what information categorizes individuals.

We're pretty certain that the existence of negative information does, but there are questions whether say a mortgage rebuckets you or not on an otherwise clean file? Hard to know anecdotally.

        
Message 7 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that would make perfect sense. As an example (also from the linked thread), here is a SW alert for someone that was rebucketed:

* You moved from one category of credit users to another as time passed. For example, you may have transitioned from the category "consumers with a new credit history" to the category "consumers with a two- to five-year credit history". As a result, your credit report is evaluated differently, causing a slight change in your score. The good news is that moving between categories like this usually offers you the potential to reach a higher FICO® score in the future.

I know the thread is about six years old, but I'm sure the principle remains. The rebucketing will move an individual into a grouping of people that are more in line with their stats. For example, with the collection dropping off as we've discussed thus far, a consumer might move from the 'existing major derog' bucket to the 'consumer with two-five year history' bucket. This will also alter the formula for evaluating behavior. As you pointed out, someone in the 'existing major derog' bucket will be less adversely affected than someone in the '20 year plus' bucket by a 30 day late due to the grading formula in place at each level.

These theories would also explain why (according to the other thread) bucketing is affected by dreogs and age, however not by other factors like util. UTIL is going to fluctuate by a customers use of credit, but age of history and any derogs are pretty concrete (PFDs etc not withstanding).

Message 8 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

I assume that another part of all this is that the weights in each bucket, and perhaps at least partially the buckets themselves, are derived based on heavy statistical crunching of actual reports.

In other words, the weights for each bucket are derived based on what actually works to predict delinquency, rather than plucking numbers out of thin air.

I don't know if the buckets themselves are derived in this way, but there are some statistical techniques for doing so.

If we think in terms of behavioral modelling, some of this starts to make more sense.  For example, a person could have a 30-day late by accident, but it's harder to explain a 90-day late as being accidental, and presumably the respective negative weights take all this into account.  And the 30/90 difference may vary based on the bucket.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.