Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent TU report - unknown acct.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recent TU report - unknown acct.

I reviewed my TU report and found an account with Bank One - I've never had a bank one credit card. We're in the process of buying a house so I'm very concerned with my FICO. Currently it stands at 749 TU. Should I have this Bank One account removed now - it's not showing as a negative account, it has a 10K limit with no balance and has been open since 1992. As of today I have: 1 charge off account (thanks to my brother) 1 revolving with a balance of 4K and limit of 20K 4 student loans equal to 2600 TU states I have a revolving account with 0 balance and 1900 limit. This account is closed I'm sure but TU still shows open. I don't have alot of open credit cards so I just wonder if this Bank One account is helping. I have yet to pull the other 2 reports.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Recent TU report - unknown acct.

Hi, JT, welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't mess with it. It looks like nothing but positive history, and it's a 15-year-old tradeline.

It was probably under a different name back in 1992. Bank One swallowed up a lot of other banks before being swallowed itself by Chase. Here's a link to a Wiki article, with a hilarious list of begats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_One

Maybe you'll recognize a ghost bank on the list as one that you once had.

If it really freaks you out, you can close it after the mortgage is all wrapped up, but please read first about closing credit cards. As long as there doesn't seem to be any fraud involved, there's no real reason to mess with it. This looks like one of the rare instances when a consumer gets lucky.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.