cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery time from closing only installment loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recovery time from closing only installment loan?

Hi everyone,

So I paid off a 48 month installment (auto) loan in 13 months, no missed payments, etc. I'd rather get my DTI down and not pay unnecessary interest than drag on a loan I don't need for a few extra points.

That being said, as this was my only open installment loan, I took about a 13pt hit now that it's reported as closed. Will this drop recover over time, as my balances stabilize? The loan last reported 1.8k left on it before I paid it all off. Or is that just the brunt of no longer having as diverse a spread of open credit, and I'll just have to see slow increases from on time payments on my revolving accounts, slow increase of AAoA, etc? I know scores go up with positive payments over time regardless, I am just curious if the drop was from a 1.8k balance becoming zero, or simply because I no longer have an open installment loan reporting.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Recovery time from closing only installment loan?

I paid off an auto loan in mid-2014 and by November my scores were high enough that I couldn't see the lack of an installment loan affecting my FICO 8 scores. Ymmv, of course.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.