cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red flag for account less than 12 months old. Point loss?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Red flag for account less than 12 months old. Point loss?

I have been able to separate effects from avg age and history. But I haven't had a year where I skipped applying for something so I never found out if there would be an additional gain when this flag drops off.

Wondering if this flag represents a different point loss or if it was just average age loss. Anybody know?
Thanks

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 04-08-2008 09:27 AM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Red flag for account less than 12 months old. Point loss?

I'm not entirely clear what you're asking.

But I can tell you that TU dinged my score because my amount of new credit is considered "very good" rather than "great."  My newest card is 8 months old and I have no inqs (and no apps).  So I think it all depends on the bucket you are in.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Example. If you added 2 AU accounts. To begin with you had 8 accounts 5 years avg age. Now you added 2 AU accounts today what would happen to your score?

AU Account #1 NEW opened 4 months ago. (past the 60 day -10 point drop)
AU Account #2 Opened 9 yrs, 8 mo old. (NO HISTORY / dormant) Just used to keep average age constant. This will isolate the red flag. Would this case loose points do you think?

Average age will still be 5 years for all 10 accounts.
FICO will flag "AU Account #1" because it is less than 12 months old. Would your score drop because of this flag? In this case Average Age is constant and No Inq. I am just trying to learn if this flag means anything or if it is just a warning.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 04-08-2008 10:45 AM
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I would think that there would be a point drop, however small. Even though you balanced it out with another older account to maintain the average age, I still think that there's a penalty for newness.

Is this all hypothetical, or did this happen? and if so, what if anything changed on screen 2 of the FICO reports?

But since that flag is supposed to mean "Marks an aspect of your credit that is hurting your FICO® score," I'm taking this at its word.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was hypothetical. I'm wondering how many points I am loosing for this very real flag on all 3 of my CRAs? That would be so awesome if this flag was hurting my score! Even if it is 1 point, I'll take it. I need to wait a year to find out, so this was why I was asking. I don't have any AU accounts.
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I hope to heaven that it's more than 1 point. I have this flag for the first time ever, with 6 new accounts showing and 2 more lurking outside the light from the campfire, and my scores took a dive of much more than 6 points!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I hope to heaven that it's more than 1 point. I have this flag for the first time ever, with 6 new accounts showing and 2 more lurking outside the light from the campfire, and my scores took a dive of much more than 6 points!

But part of the dive in your scores is explained by the lowered average age and recent inquiries.

I think the effect of having a new account is not that much, perhaps 5-15 points, depending on the age of the new account and everything else in the profile.

Due to an app-spree I had in May of 2007, I have 9 new accounts, out of which 1 is only 1-month old, and another one is 3-months old, and yet my score has recovered to within 5 points of the pre-spree levels.

Of course, the current credit snapshot has the following advantages over the one fromr May 2007:

- oldest account is 10 months older now than in may of 2007,
- there are over 90 additional instances of "OK" payments (I know for a fact that the more of this check-marks you have, the higher the FICO),
- my available credit is much higher now (although in terms of percentages, the pre-app spree util was under 9%, maybe even under 5%).

I suspect that having accounts that are:

- less than 1 month old,
- less than 3 months old,
- less than 6 months old,
- less than 12 months old.

would drop the score slightly.  The shorter the time since new account, the higher the drop. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone noticed a score bump when a new account hit 12 months?
Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

WOW, ChumCherum!  You need to instantly check into the Sleigh Center for addiicted Card-App-Aholics!!!
ROFL!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 04-09-2008 10:26 PM
Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Has anyone noticed a score bump when a new account hit 12 months?

I definitely did, and it was in two parts. On the first of the month, I got around 5 points, and from the various comments, I think that was the card hitting one year (even though its true birthday was on the 22nd.) Then on the 22nd, I got another couple of points for the inq.

I'm pretty confident in how it split up because my reports kept saying that I had one inq on whichever CRA it was until the 22nd, when that comment went away.

@Anonymous wrote:
But part of the dive in your scores is explained by the lowered average age and recent inquiries.

I think the effect of having a new account is not that much, perhaps 5-15 points, depending on the age of the new account and everything else in the profile.

This is my current puzzle, untangling newness from re-aging! Smiley Happy

Since my scores dropped 50-70 points for the 5 accounts that are reporting so far (2 to go!), I'm thinking that they might be the same thing, in other words, newness penalty is the same as re-aging penalty. (5 x 10 points = 50 points; 5 x 15 points = 75 points.)

And I very much agree with the mini-birthdays that you posted, and there might even be one at 18 months. I'm getting this mostly from the simulator scenarios, and also from personal observation.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.