Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction in Util

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reduction in Util

In Sept of 2014 I had two cards, the Cap One MTV/Journey and Amex Blue Sky.  My limits were $750 and $5000 respectively.  Later that month I CLI'd both, but at that moment those were the limits and I was rocking an approx 3,500 balance on the Amex.  Maybe it was close to 4k or more.  I'd have to check.  Anyway, my utilization was around 60% and later that month Amex still gave me a 2k increase.  Since then I've looked at other websites like this one and spent an inordinate amount of time here.  I added all these new cards which has changed the percentages. Now I have my EX fico and it's showing me with 714 and 17% util.  I'm showing 6 inquiries and will show the 6 new accounts once the Marriott shows.  I traded off:  -Seeking Credit and -Short Credit History (from about 1.5 years to 7 months AAoA) in exchange for +Low Credit Usage.  A good deal if you ask me.

Question 1:  They are showing me with 2,500 more total credit than I really have.  With my new Marriott my total credit is around $25,350.  Without that card reporting I would have $20,350 in total credit.  Experian is showing the inquiry for the new Chase card, but the account hasn't popped up yet.  Still they are saying I have $22,850 in total credit when in reality w/o the Marriott I should only show $20,350.  Has anyone else seen a discrepancy in this area?

Question 2:  How much will my score increase if I keep my utilization and 17% or lower for the rest of 2015?  How long does it take for util improvements to take effect?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Reduction in Util

@Anonymous wrote:

In Sept of 2014 I had two cards, the Cap One MTV/Journey and Amex Blue Sky.  My limits were $750 and $5000 respectively.  Later that month I CLI'd both, but at that moment those were the limits and I was rocking an approx 3,500 balance on the Amex.  Maybe it was close to 4k or more.  I'd have to check.  Anyway, my utilization was around 60% and later that month Amex still gave me a 2k increase.  Since then I've looked at other websites like this one and spent an inordinate amount of time here.  I added all these new cards which has changed the percentages. Now I have my EX fico and it's showing me with 714 and 17% util.  I'm showing 6 inquiries and will show the 6 new accounts once the Marriott shows.  I traded off:  -Seeking Credit and -Short Credit History (from about 1.5 years to 7 months AAoA) in exchange for +Low Credit Usage.  A good deal if you ask me.

Question 1:  They are showing me with 2,500 more total credit than I really have.  With my new Marriott my total credit is around $25,350.  Without that card reporting I would have $20,350 in total credit.  Experian is showing the inquiry for the new Chase card, but the account hasn't popped up yet.  Still they are saying I have $22,850 in total credit when in reality w/o the Marriott I should only show $20,350.  Has anyone else seen a discrepancy in this area?

Question 2:  How much will my score increase if I keep my utilization and 17% or lower for the rest of 2015?  How long does it take for util improvements to take effect?

Don't know on the first question; there's data parsing errors in most of the credit monitoring applications, I wouldn't worry about it until your report has settled down.

Second one, utilization for the most part has no memory, it is an instant in time utilization.  There's been some theories that if you have a pattern of high utilization, and you pay it down, and your score doesn't move, that you were in a dirty bucket as a result of utilization and there's been some (not a lot that I've seen) supporting data for that, but generally if you pay down the debt or otherwise change your utilization, your score moves as soon as it's reported.

As for increases, it really depends what else is in your report but I think you did well: 2 cards isn't a thick enough file and if you're going to add tradelines do it all at once and get all the negatives associated with opening a new tradeline aging together... though I do recommend sitting on your hands for a while after any spree Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know on the first question; there's data parsing errors in most of the credit monitoring applications, I wouldn't worry about it until your report has settled down.

Second one, utilization for the most part has no memory, it is an instant in time utilization.  There's been some theories that if you have a pattern of high utilization, and you pay it down, and your score doesn't move, that you were in a dirty bucket as a result of utilization and there's been some (not a lot that I've seen) supporting data for that, but generally if you pay down the debt or otherwise change your utilization, your score moves as soon as it's reported.

As for increases, it really depends what else is in your report but I think you did well: 2 cards isn't a thick enough file and if you're going to add tradelines do it all at once and get all the negatives associated with opening a new tradeline aging together... though I do recommend sitting on your hands for a while after any spree Smiley Happy.

Thanks.  I still feel good about the moves that I made it's just sometimes undertanding the scoring can be difficult.  I reduced my utilization drastically and I think in essence my score stayed the same (or maybe dropped a little).  Maybe it was offset by the inquiries and new accounts.  I don't have any baddies and a 100% record of paying on time.  I used the EX credit simulator to see what would happen in I just continued to pay theses accounts on time for 12 months and it showed me moving up to a 749.  I know that's not guaranteed as perfectly accurate, but it's a good sign.  I guess all I have to do is wait and pay my bills and I'll be fine.  

I guess now I have to figure out the difference in the buckets.

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.  I still feel good about the moves that I made it's just sometimes undertanding the scoring can be difficult.  I reduced my utilization drastically and I think in essence my score stayed the same (or maybe dropped a little).  Maybe it was offset by the inquiries and new accounts.  I don't have any baddies and a 100% record of paying on time.  I used the EX credit simulator to see what would happen in I just continued to pay theses accounts on time for 12 months and it showed me moving up to a 749.  I know that's not guaranteed as perfectly accurate, but it's a good sign.  I guess all I have to do is wait and pay my bills and I'll be fine.  

I guess now I have to figure out the difference in the buckets.

I wish you luck with that Smiley Happy.

Nor would I worry about it at all in your case: clean file simply stay on the righteous credit path and take the resulting score increases as you build history.  Really the only *possible* bucketing events would be regarding the age of your tradelines and report diversity, and that's handled in AAOA anyway and mix of credit which are seperate calculations so may not even be a straight bucketing event, just flavor as to where you fall into said bucket.  It's overly complicated to the point it's not worth worrying about, FICO secret sauce.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.