Established Member
urbex

Refinanced auto loan still shows as open, reporting balance

Approx a year ago I financed a new car, and got it refinanced 6 months later.  On at least my Experian CR, the original loan still shows as open with a significant balance, although it is reporting as current, never late.  When I pull up the page on mycreditinform.com, it appears to be factoring into my utilization as well. 

I had thought about disputing it, but I didn't know if I'm seeing a benefit from having the two auto loans in good standing, or if it's a negative from having a balance roughly double of what it should be.  The overall utilization will stay roughly the same (the original loan is showing as 93%, the refi'ed loan at 95%, with the average reporting at 94%) if I get the original loan removed, but over time it will keep the utilization artificially high, which I think will hurt me in the future.  I do also have two credit cards in good standing, never late, so getting it removed wouldn't wipe out my credit history. 

I don't plan on getting another car loan ever again after this (working towards getting completely out of debt, and never again going back into considerable debt...basically just enough to keep a credit report active for purposes of other companies like insurance, utilities, cell phones, etc that base rates/deposits on credit), so I'm not worried about it from a future loan stand point, but I don't want a balance being carried to bring my score down for the other reasons. 

pizzadude

Re: Refinanced auto loan still shows as open, reporting balance

I wouldn't worry about it ~ the balance will have no real impact on your FICO® score since it is an installment loan. The loan is in good standing so I wouldn't touch it.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Refinanced auto loan still shows as open, reporting balance

pizzadude wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it ~ the balance will have no real impact on your FICO® score since it is an installment loan. The loan is in good standing so I wouldn't touch it.

+1 installment loans carry very little weight in Fico scoring

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+