Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinanced car, big hit?

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

Refinanced car, big hit?

So I refinanced my post bk car today with Nfcu, went from 17.9% down to 8.49%. That was a no brainer for the long haul. Am I going to take a big score hit for one loan closing and a new one opening? I also think long term the refi will help because the old loan was classed as a finance company, but the new will be as an auto loan, or does that not matter for scoring? I only had the old loan for six months.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Refinanced car, big hit?

@starry1 wrote:
So I refinanced my post bk car today with Nfcu, went from 17.9% down to 8.49%. That was a no brainer for the long haul. Am I going to take a big score hit for one loan closing and a new one opening? I also think long term the refi will help because the old loan was classed as a finance company, but the new will be as an auto loan, or does that not matter for scoring? I only had the old loan for six months.

You shouldn't take much of a hit at all.  Recently I did a similar refi (2 actually), no hit whatsoever.  Installment loans have less of an impact on one's scores versus credit cards.  Where one can run into problems is if you have more than 4 installment loans, for whatever reason. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.