Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove name from credit card account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove name from credit card account?

Currently I am listed as an authorized user of a Chase credit card held by my husband.  Identity guard shows that if the balence was $0, my score would increase.  Should I have him remove my name as an authorized user?  I'm not sure if removing my name will have the same effect as paying it off.  It seems like it should, but I'm not sure. 

Are they implying that the history of paying it to $0 should increase my score, or are they implying that not having an open credit card would increase my score.

Thoughts would be great!

thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Remove name from credit card account?

The CC credit limit with a 0 balance would decrease your UTIL which is in my opinion what would increase the score.  As this is an educated guess since we know nothing about your credit profile.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Remove name from credit card account?

Hi mal,

If you remove yourself as an AU, you will lose the age of the account, along with the CL, along with losing the reporting balance.  So, it'll impact your AAofA, possibly your oldest credit line (depending, of course), and your utilization, along with the number and type of accounts you have open.

When you are removed as an AU, If you don't like the effect on your FICO score, you can always ask to be added back on as an AU.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.