Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Closed CC Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Closed CC Accounts

I am trying to clean up mine & my husbands credit reports.  They aren't bad (high 600's, low 700s) but there are a lot of accounts on them w/ zero balances that have been closed either by us (years ago) or the consumer (for non usage)

Will it benefit us or hurt us to have these items removed?

I am also having an issue trying to get a medical bill removed from my husbands.  The hospital has been bought out by a conglomerate. The charge should of been covered by his insurance, but the hospital billed it wrong, resulting in the charge.  I am sure you have this somewhere in your web site, but I don't think it qualifies for HIPPA just yet.  Could you drop the link in for me please?

Thanks

CR~

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Removing Closed CC Accounts

Hi, welcome to the forums!

OMG, don't get good old accounts removed. They are gold!

As for the medical collection, have you asked your insurance company if they would pay the bill if it were resubmitted properly? This is how I got a medical collection off my husband's reports. The CA tried reporting one more time, showing it as closed, and I sent them a HIPAA letter. They promptly removed it and haven't come back since. This was before there was a usable HIPAA process here.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Do not try to remove positive tradelines. It will kill your average age of accounts if you are able to do it.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a little confused.

I read over and over that closing cc accounts is bad for my report.

But leaving ones I closed on there that were good is ok?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Trakerr1!

Reading Closing CC's will help!

Closed positive tradelines continue to report for up to 10 years. That means, that these accounts continue to be counted in your AAoA, with contributes to your FICO scores. You do NOT want these accounts removed.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closing an open account is what you are probably thinking about,  for that will result in the loss of its CL

But there is no reason to ask a creditor to delete an account that was closed in good standing from yur CR. 

If it was closed with no derogs, it is only contributiung to increasing your AAoA, with no % util issues!

DONT even thing about asking them to delete this from your CR!  It is gold!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.