cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a disputed item

tag
jayson79

Removing a disputed item

I am hoping someone can help me understand this better. I had a disputed item on my credit, we are trying to get a mortgage and the loan officer said we would have to get the dispute removed from my credit before they could do anything. So I sent a non dispute letter, it was removed and my credit dropped by 51 points....why in the world did it drop so much??? Will it go back up anytime soon?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Removing a disputed item

Message 2 of 13
jayson79

Sorry I am new to this and not sure about all of abbreviations that are used. It is an old credit card from many years ago that was turned over to a collection agency.

Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

CA = Collection agency.

Getting a collection removed should have helped your score, not drop it. 

Is there any way for you to cut and paste the tradeline in question?

Message 4 of 13
jayson79

Unfortunately the collection did not get removed, just to "dispute" It said "Account information disputed by consumer". The dispute itself was removed, the collection was not removed.

Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When you initially disputed it did your score increase?

The only reason I can see for this to happen is if you got an increase when the dispute happened and they took it back after removing the dispute.

But, since it was a CA account, it never should have been removed from scoring in the first place.

Have you got a new copy of your credit report since this happended.  It might be a good idea to.  See if something else happened.

Message 6 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, some folks use "collection" loosely, but per FICO scoring it makes a big difference. For clarity, was this a collection agency reporting on behalf of a debt, OR was this a charge-off like a CC, phone bill, loan, etc.?

Were both scores (the before and after that resulted in the 51 pts) from the lender? Or was the 2nd score from another source?

Message 7 of 13
ashdawg143

How does a junk debt buyer play into this? Are they the OC or a CA?

Message 8 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

they are a CA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 13
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

When an account is disputed it remains nuetral in the scroing process. Once the dispute is removed on the disputed acocunt the account is fully factoted in the the score.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.