cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing an authorized user account - help or hurt me?

tag
Cornholio

Removing an authorized user account - help or hurt me?

I currently an authorized user on my parents' credit card. It reports on my credit in the same manner as my own credit card. Utilization is at 70%. Perfect payment history on that card. The positive is that the length of credit is almost as old as I am, which i understand could be beneficial. Current credit score is 635. I am wondering if I would be wise to have it removed from my credit report -even the credit card company said it will remove it from my credit at my request because I am an authorized user and not obligated to pay any of the charges under the terms of the agreement. Any thoughts? Will removing this help me or hurt me.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Removing an authorized user account - help or hurt me?

Message 2 of 4
Cornholio

Overall utilization is 70% on that card only (17.5 balance on 25k limit ) and my only other card is 1500 balance on 5k limit. AAoA is about 10 years without the auth user card and 7 years without it.
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You would definitely take a ding for AAoA but your utilization is what is hurting the most.   You could always have the card removed and when the utilization is down have it added back.  Does this card typically carry a high balance?

I figured your overall utilization to be 63% which is still high and without that card it would be 30%.  Even if you are removed from that card you would need to bring your utilization down to 9% or under.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.