Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reports->FICO scores

tag
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

Reports->FICO scores

I have a bit of a curiousity-itch I'm hoping someone might have some insight to...

I think we generally conclude that, using the exact same FICO scoring model, different reports will yield different scores due to the inevitable and/or slight differences in information across the reports furnished by the CRAs (TU, EQ, EX).

Now, the question I had was:

Is it possible, or even perhaps observed, that somehow the way each CRA's report is furnished, that it can somehow alter the score, despite there being identical information in the reports?

Put another way:

Let us assume, purely/merely for sake of argument, that someone has the exact same information (accounts, age, balance, INQs, the whole deal) across all three reports;

Further, let us propose that this person obtains their FICO score (using the exact same scoring model/algorithm) at the exact same moment in time;

Would the scores be identical?

Or is there a possibility that the score will/could be different?

It is my understanding, from both common sense and what knowledge I've gained from informal research, that the scores should/would be same, since the exact same "input" (CRA report) information gets processed by the same "algorithm" (fico scoring model) and by theory should spit out the same "output" (Fico score).

However, IF it "can" be different regardless of those three (input, algorithm, output) variables being "fixed"/"constant", then that would suggest that there is yet another variable... perhaps the manner in which the information is inputted, who knows.

Anyways, this is less of a "question" but rather more of a jumping-off point for debate/discussion, that I've been curious about for a long time.

Any firm insights would be helpful, if even its just knowledge for sake of knowledge (i think we'd agree there is very little "real world" implications from this knowledge, since we generally/inevitable DO have different data from each CRA reports)

(oh, and yes I do have a bit of a Rubik's complex, if you couldn't tell...) =P

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Reports->FICO scores

I have read that the top possible score varies across EX, EQ, and TU, due to differences in the way information is reported by the three bureaus.

I don't know the details of this.

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It would most likely vary because each CRA has their own assigned FICO version. For example, Beacon 5.0, TU04, and Fair Isaac Risk Model v3 were all made roughtly within a year from each other using similar scoring concepts. But because you are comparing three different FICO versions for EQ, TU, and EX respectively in this example, you'll have 3 different FICO scores despite having the exact same info reporting.

Also each version of FICO will score a bit differently. A former Admin laid it out here somewhere, but the EQ on here tends to look at DOLA as an example, over Date Reported. Whereas the TU on here looks at Date Reported over DOLA. Therefore each are weighed a tad differently because those two dates could be off.

Finally and obviously, each version has their own quirks. IME, the EQ FICO weighed util over the other two (e.g. I paid down 89% in util down to 1% and my EQ FICO increased 125 pts vs. TU's 75), and EX and TU FICOs seem to weigh baddies more than EQ FICO.

Message 3 of 4
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I can tell you that my son had an equal score from all three cra's,his score being an 838. He had a thin file, two paid automobile loans, no credit cards, no mortage, or other loans. His history was 11-13 years, all loans were paid in full. All of his reports were pulled and viewed simultaneously by his loan officer, my son, and myself when he was new home shopping. All information was identical in his files.

As for my file, my results are like Illecs. TU weighs my late payment heavier than EQ of EX. Tu and EQ also show more trade lines than Ex. EX and EQ are 5 points apart, while TU lags about 19 from my top score. Using the Fico Estimator on the site, TU is the slowest to show recovery from my late payed account, while EQ predicts the 800 club in eighteen to twenty four months, with TU suggesting a 785 or so. Hope this helps. Time appears to be a major  factor in for the upper end scores. 

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.