New Contributor
FICOnater2007

Requesting a Lower Interest Rate -- IT WORKS!

Last week on TV I caught part of the show called "The Millionaire Inside" which featured a panel including "Rich Dad" Robert Kiyosaki.  Normally I don't watch CNBC but this was a good show.

One of the speakers suggested that people call their credit card company and request them to lower your interest rate.  He said do this a minimum of SEVEN TIMES and ask for a manager if the person answering the call won't do it. 

Well...IT WORKS!  I called American Express regarding my business account and asked them to lower the interest rate.  In fact they agreed to it with *very* little prodding.  Essentially they said they would do it since I have been a cardholder for almost 10 years.  Okay...sure...whatever helps them sleep at night...I was just happy that it worked.

In any event, it is down to 14.9% from about 30.25%!  Like many cards out there, if you have even ONE late payment the small print says they can jump your rate -- it happened to me. 

Good luck to all,

FICOnater2007

Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: Requesting a Lower Interest Rate -- IT WORKS!

FICOnater2007 wrote:
Last week on TV I caught part of the show called "The Millionaire Inside" which featured a panel including "Rich Dad" Robert Kiyosaki.  Normally I don't watch CNBC but this was a good show.

One of the speakers suggested that people call their credit card company and request them to lower your interest rate.  He said do this a minimum of SEVEN TIMES and ask for a manager if the person answering the call won't do it. 

Well...IT WORKS!  I called American Express regarding my business account and asked them to lower the interest rate.  In fact they agreed to it with *very* little prodding.  Essentially they said they would do it since I have been a cardholder for almost 10 years.  Okay...sure...whatever helps them sleep at night...I was just happy that it worked.

In any event, it is down to 14.9% from about 30.25%!  Like many cards out there, if you have even ONE late payment the small print says they can jump your rate -- it happened to me. 

Good luck to all,

FICOnater2007

Good for you! I like hearing folks do this. I have been known to be a real bulldog with CCCs with APRs and CLIs and it almost always works. Good job!
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

Re: Requesting a Lower Interest Rate -- IT WORKS!

WTG! :smileyhappy:
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}