cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting hard copies of my credit reports resulted in a 28 point score drop!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requesting hard copies of my credit reports resulted in a 28 point score drop!

For some reason, freeannualcreditreport.com wasn't working for me. So I requested hard copies from Experian and Equifax.

It seems like they "double checked" my reports for accuracy or something..

Now I have 2.5 years of collections/lates showing after a chargeoff that I had in 2014. They weren't there before. My scores dropped around 28 points. Smiley Sad

Has anyone heard of this happening? After chargeoff, does each month that I'm marked as "late" continue to drop my score?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Requesting hard copies of my credit reports resulted in a 28 point score drop!

I have never heard of this happening... definitely not with 2 bureaus at the same exact time.  The fact that it was duplicated between two unrelated organizations leads me to believe that the negative information was already there and maybe wasn't seen prior, or that it was reported recently.  What was the date reported on the credit reports for that account?

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Requesting hard copies of my credit reports resulted in a 28 point score drop!

@Anonymous wrote:

For some reason, freeannualcreditreport.com wasn't working for me. So I requested hard copies from Experian and Equifax.

It seems like they "double checked" my reports for accuracy or something..

Now I have 2.5 years of collections/lates showing after a chargeoff that I had in 2014. They weren't there before. My scores dropped around 28 points. Smiley Sad

Has anyone heard of this happening? After chargeoff, does each month that I'm marked as "late" continue to drop my score?

I don't believe it drops your score further, but what it does do is keeps the tradeline actively deliquent and current.

It's in everyone's best interest to either get a charge off deleted or worst case paid to get the line drawn in the sand.  In my opinion, charge offs are the absolute least consumer friendly derogatory to have, I wouldn't exchange my tax lien issues for a CO ever personally, and that probably goes for a Ch 13 BK too if I had one of those... well maybe, some tradeoffs there haha.

Where were you seeing your credit reports previously?  Sometimes the 3rd party presentation doesn't match what's on the bureaus... but if you got hard copies, I'd trust those over anything you can find online outside of the aforementioned annualcreditreport.com which should be line item identical to the paper copy.

If you have a charge off though, and it has a non-zero balance, then the continued lates / charge-off marking is indeed proper reporting.  Sucks, but unfortunately that's the way they work, and I'd strongly encourage you to address it.

        
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never heard of this happening... definitely not with 2 bureaus at the same exact time.  The fact that it was duplicated between two unrelated organizations leads me to believe that the negative information was already there and maybe wasn't seen prior, or that it was reported recently.  What was the date reported on the credit reports for that account?

It's pretty weird because the "Status updated" date on CCT is the same date as the day the credit report was cut, 3/31/2017. But a month prior, CCT showed the "Status updated" date of 11/13/2014. No update for ~2.5 years, then an update on the same day that the credit report was sent. That would be a crazy coincidence.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revelate wrote:

but if you got hard copies, I'd trust those over anything you can find online outside of the aforementioned annualcreditreport.com which should be line item identical to the paper copy.

I definitely trust the new credit reports. They're correct, I just preferred the previously incorrect ones Smiley Happy

I was monitoring with CCT

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.