Reply
Valued Member
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎08-08-2007
0

Requesting higher credit limit

Hello all,
 
I have a question. I would like to request a higher credit limit so that my outstanding balance doesn't look as bad. However, if I request a higher credit limit, does my CC company put an inquiry on my report? That inquiry could drop my score and defeat the whole purpose. Any insight? Thanks.
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,182
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: Requesting higher credit limit



sdlt21 wrote:
Hello all,
 
I have a question. I would like to request a higher credit limit so that my outstanding balance doesn't look as bad. However, if I request a higher credit limit, does my CC company put an inquiry on my report? That inquiry could drop my score and defeat the whole purpose. Any insight? Thanks.


Some do, some don't.  What card is it?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Valued Member
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎08-08-2007
0

Re: Requesting higher credit limit

Thanks for the quick response! It's a WAMU card. I opened it because of the 0% APR on transfer balances so I could pay down debt. The current CL is 5800 and the balance on the card is 3000.
 
Also, on another subject, I opened a Circuit City card in April of this year to buy a laptop with 90 days same as cash. It's paid off. But since it's so new, It has a bit of an affect on my score. Would it help to close it?
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,182
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: Requesting higher credit limit



sdlt21 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response! It's a WAMU card. I opened it because of the 0% APR on transfer balances so I could pay down debt. The current CL is 5800 and the balance on the card is 3000.
 


Someone else might be able to tell you about WAMU

sdlt21 wrote:
 
Also, on another subject, I opened a Circuit City card in April of this year to buy a laptop with 90 days same as cash. It's paid off. But since it's so new, It has a bit of an affect on my score. Would it help to close it?


Don't close it!  It keeps your util down low and will age nicely.  It will be less new after 6 months and good after 12 months.  Closing it will make no difference to average age or age of this account
 
If you close it it will still age nicely for 10 years, but will adversely affect your utilization %

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Valued Member
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎08-08-2007
0

Re: Requesting higher credit limit

Thank you for the insight!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.