Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resonable Score for New Credit User?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Resonable Score for New Credit User?

Hello all!

First of all, I got my first credit card the week of my 18th birthday which was two years ago.

I have a two part question:

My current scores are 731-TU  733-EQ  739-EX. Is this a decent score for my length of credit history?

Assuming all balances are paid in full and payments are never late, how long (on average) does it take to hit an 800 score?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
treski
Frequent Contributor

Re: Resonable Score for New Credit User?

Very nice scores, indeed.

Hitting 800 depends on tons of things ... and with higher scores you get bigger (temporary) dings for other things, like inquiries.  How many crredit lines do you have?  How much available credit?  What is your % utilization?

NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jamesfish wrote:

Hello all!

First of all, I got my first credit card the week of my 18th birthday which was two years ago.

I have a two part question:

My current scores are 731-TU  733-EQ  739-EX. Is this a decent score for my length of credit history?

Assuming all balances are paid in full and payments are never late, how long (on average) does it take to hit an 800 score?

Thanks in advance for the help!

You are dead-on for a newish credit user, congrats.

You should be in the 760's in another couple of years, but after that, it slows down, because a lot is dependent on age, as in the number of years that you've been alive on the planet.

Check out the "FICO High Achievers" thread in my siggy. We've been picking the brains of many of these rare birds for several months now. It might give you some ideas on where you want to go and how to get there.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Length of credit history counts 15%  (127 FICO points), and type credit mix counts 10% (85 FICO points).  Two years of credit history is well below average, so it will take a few years to begin to move up higher in this category, and capture more of those 127 points. 

Those with short credit history and few accounts are hit with a FICO dilemma.  To improve your credit mix category, a healthy mix of revolving, bank, and installment loans (personal,auto, mortgage) is necessary.  This requires establishing new credit, which will, with each new account, add in an account with zero credit history into your avg age of account calculation.  Each new account that you app for will also cost you a new inquiry, which remamins at aroung a 5 pt or so hit for a year.  So it is very difficult for one with relatively short credit history and a thin credit file to approach anything near 800.

For one of your credit age and limited number of accounts, scores within the 700's now are extremely good!  Dont fret.   My scores are almost identical to yours now, yet I have an oldest account of almost 20 years, and an avg age of accounts of 8+ years.  Until a couple of years ago, I paid no attention to credit scoring, and thus am paying in other categories that you clearly reconginze, at your young age, how to avoid the devastating affect of any late payments in the most important category of payment history.  YOu got it together!  Just get older!

I would suggest, from what you have stated, that you might consider a plan that will probably, in the short term, lower your current FICO score, but will build for the future.  Since your account age is now low, this might be the time to get those new accounts needed to improve credit mix, and as time goes by, having more accounts with established and aging credit history will lessen the impact of any future new credit that you might secure in the future.  It will also add more CL to your current %util calculation. Dont fixate only on age of accounts.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-08-2008 07:06 PM
Message 4 of 6
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

I'm fairly new to the whole credit thing too; I'm currently in the lower 20's with my highest score ever being 746. As the others said, if you maintain good spending and credit habits it's really a matter of putting in the time required for your scores to rise. Time measured in years, of course, so people like you and I have to be patient Smiley Happy

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 5 of 6
vawt
Contributor

Great scores for your age! 

Keep your credit apps to when you need them (car, house, etc) and ALWAYS pay on time and you will climb a bit each year as your accounts age and you get more of a credit mix established.  Paying on time now will make things SO much easier for you down the road when you want to make a major purchase like a car or house.  Congrats on being so responsible.

BTW- I'm 30 and have had my scores over 800 recently, so I'd say it is possible around 28 or so (10 years of history with car/house pmts and not many inquiries).   that's just an estimate of course.

Scores June-09: EQ 798 TU-785
Scores Mar-09: EQ 792 (getting close) TU-782
Scores Feb-09: EQ- 786 EX- ??? TU-777
Scores Jan-09: EQ- 791 EX- 786 TU-765
Scores Aug-08: EQ- 786 EX- 779 TU- 737
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.