Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL and Score?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

SOL and Score?

I see a lot of people asking about if certain accounts are past SOL when requesting more details....what does SOL have to do with scoring?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SOL and Score?

EaglesFan2006 wrote:
I see a lot of people asking about if certain accounts are past SOL when requesting more details....what does SOL have to do with scoring?

Has nothing to do with scoring. We will often ask if a baddie is past SOL prior to giving advice on fixing baddies. DVing, disputing, PFDing, etc. a debt prior to the expiration of SOL could lead to a lawsuit.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL (statute of limitations) is a legal time limit that a creditor has the ability to enforce a debt through the courts.  Once the SOL has expired, they cannot sue, thus cannot garnish wages.

However, this does not extinguish the debt and it can continue to report on your credit (till required to be removed by FCRA) and they may continue to attempt to collect the debt through non-judicial measures indefinitely.

Thus your score is not affected by SOL.  Your legal liabilities are limited after.  You have more leverage to negotiate debts after SOL since they cannot use the courts to collect.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Good posts. 

Being past your state/fed SOL only relives your from the threat of an enforceable lawsuit for collection.

If you borrowed $1000 from me, and did not repay it, expiration of the legal SOL would not quench my distaste.

Creditors are usually corporations, so it is a bit easier in the mind of some to stiff them.

But a debt owed is a debt owed.  Having it remain in your CR is only right, even if they can no longer legally collect.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.