Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Changed, Credit Didn't.

tag
Evesvilla
New Visitor

Score Changed, Credit Didn't.

Sorry to be repetitive if this topic has already been covered. We've worked very hard to get our credit up these last few years & I noticed today that there was a 53 point decrease in the score, but nothing had changed on the actual credit report! The last score alert I received, not even 30 days ago, put us in a bracket we'd been aiming for. Why is it I log on today (with no alerts), & noticed the score has now gone down 53 points? How can my score change so dramatically when nothing has changed with the credit? B
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Score Changed, Credit Didn't.

53 points is pretty significant.  Do you have any collections on your report?

has anything really old fallen off and is no longer reporting?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

Where are you getting your scores?

Can you be specific about which score (EX, EQ, TU) has changed?

Message 3 of 15
Evesvilla
New Visitor

When I first started monitoring, over a year ago, we'd already cleaned the reports up, paid off any due debts, collections or otherwise. We then added a credit card & have been using & monitoring closely. We haven't added anything, changed anything, or otherwise in at least 6+ months. We've been very careful about what we did, as we were preparing to buy a home in the near future & knew we'd need some time to clean up & build credit.
So basically nothing has changed on the credit reports in quite a while, & even tho past debts were paid nothing is scheduled to fall off until 2015.
I looked at the score history available in the member center & the score had been steadily going up for almost a year now, then all of a sudden dropped 53 points in the past few days with no explanation, no score alert, no credit changes, nothing. Just dropped.
The score I'm getting is thru the My Fico website & monitoring service, which says is an Equifax score. I do understand they can vary greatly amongst the different bureaus, however this is all from & thru My Fico.
Thanks so much, & sorry for the long explanation.
Message 4 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

If it's an EQ score from this site, then the scoring models have changed recently (EQ 04 to EQ 08), and the changes are described here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/fico8.aspx

Such a change will help some people and hurt others.

If you're looking for a mortgage, I would rely on the FICO score available at the Equifax site (EQ 04).  The 04 scores tend to be standard in the mortgage industry.

Message 5 of 15
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Is your credit card maxed out?  Take a look at the balance reporting on your credit card from the report where your credit report had the higher score and compare it to the recent report.

A significant part of your FICO score is the amount utilized on credit cards.

Additionally, check to make sure that none of the existing collections have recently reported anything.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 15
EW800
Valued Contributor

If you're looking for a mortgage, I would rely on the FICO score available at the Equifax site (EQ 04).  

5387 --  Would you by chance know how to locate the true FICO 04 score at Equifax that they sell for $20?  Pretty much everything that I see is for their "Credit Score" and "Equifax Complete" products, which I believe is what we should stay away from.  I get the feeling they bury the true 04 area?  Any pointers?    Thanks!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 15
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

If it's an EQ score from this site, then the scoring models have changed recently (EQ 04 to EQ 08), and the changes are described here:

If you're looking for a mortgage, I would rely on the FICO score available at the Equifax site (EQ 04).  The 04 scores tend to be standard in the mortgage industry.

Although the move from Beacon 5.0 to Beacon 9.0 is currently happening at myFICO, OP should still carefully look at her reports to determine where she is losing such a significant amount of points.

Message 8 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

If you're looking for a mortgage, I would rely on the FICO score available at the Equifax site (EQ 04).  

5387 --  Would you by chance know how to locate the true FICO 04 score at Equifax that they sell for $20?  Pretty much everything that I see is for their "Credit Score" and "Equifax Complete" products, which I believe is what we should stay away from.  I get the feeling they bury the true 04 area?  Any pointers?    Thanks!

I believe it's the $19.95 "Score Power" product here:

http://www.equifax.com/credit-score

Message 9 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

Although the move from Beacon 5.0 to Beacon 9.0 is currently happening at myFICO, OP should still carefully look at her reports to determine where she is losing such a significant amount of points.

Agreed.  I was treating this as a "What suddenly changed?" issue, and the scoring model change is the obvious culprit.

However, beyond that, if EQ 08 causes a score to dive, then it's worth further investigation, for example looking at maxed out cards and AU issues.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.