Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Changes Don't Compute

tag
Elizablue
Established Member

Score Changes Don't Compute

Hi Folks,

Can anyone explain to me please why making a mortgage payment on time would cause my score to drop? Then making a mortgage payment caused my score to increase. Paying down credit card balances cause my score to increase. Then paying down credit card balances had no affect on score at all. I've asked this question repeatedly to FICO reps and the only answer I get is the score are a complex computation and different events can cause different outcomes...basically.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Score Changes Don't Compute

@Elizablue wrote:

Hi Folks,

Can anyone explain to me please why making a mortgage payment on time would cause my score to drop? Then making a mortgage payment caused my score to increase. Paying down credit card balances cause my score to increase. Then paying down credit card balances had no affect on score at all. I've asked this question repeatedly to FICO reps and the only answer I get is the score are a complex computation and different events can cause different outcomes...basically.

When you get MyFICO reports of a change in score, and there is additional text or there are other alerts, there is not necessarily any connection between the score change and the event being reported.

That being said,

1. making mortgage payments on time would never cause your score to drop,

2. making a mortgage payment would not cause your score to increase unless it pushed your overall installment loan utilization below a certain threshold,

3. paying down credit card balances increases your score, gradually

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 14
Elizablue
Established Member

Thank you. It doesn't make sense to me either. But when that was the only change in my credit payments for that month there is nothing else to associate it to. It seems very odd that the payment and then subsequent are not related as the only time my score drops is when I make a mortgage payment.

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Elizablue wrote:

Hi Folks,

When you get MyFICO reports of a change in score, and there is additional text or there are other alerts, there is not necessarily any connection between the score change and the event being reported.

That being said,

1. making mortgage payments on time would never cause your score to drop,

2. making a mortgage payment would not cause your score to increase unless it pushed your overall installment loan utilization below a certain threshold,

3. paying down credit card balances increases your score, gradually

Message 3 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Elizablue wrote:

Thank you. It doesn't make sense to me either. But when that was the only change in my credit payments for that month there is nothing else to associate it to. It seems very odd that the payment and then subsequent are not related as the only time my score drops is when I make a mortgage payment.

Which bureau was it?  If it was Transunion, all bets are off with their issues at the moment.  The mortgage payment is just a trigger for a score update rather than the cause of the drop.

Additionally much like SJ suggested regarding installment loans (mortgage) and payments, same thing with credit card payments: FICO calculates utilization on percentages, and if you don't cross a threshold you won't have a shift in score (positive or negative for that matter). 

        
Message 4 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Elizablue wrote:

Which bureau was it?  If it was Transunion, all bets are off with their issues at the moment.  The mortgage payment is just a trigger for a score update rather than the cause of the drop.

Additionally much like SJ suggested regarding installment loans (mortgage) and payments, same thing with credit card payments: FICO calculates utilization on percentages, and if you don't cross a threshold you won't have a shift in score (positive or negative for that matter). 

So true about TU right now.  Until they get their issues fixed, it's hard to say for sure hiw accurate things will be.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@RM21 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Elizablue wrote:

So true about TU right now.  Until they get their issues fixed, it's hard to say for sure hiw accurate things will be.

Don't you talk no trash about TU. They're the ones that put me on a clean scorecard with a 772 Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@RM21 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Elizablue wrote:

I've never had an issue with TU. It's only EQ that I find bothersome.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 14
Elizablue
Established Member

@Revelate wrote:

@Elizablue wrote:

Ok I had to go back and look at it. It is TU. I wasn't aware of their issues, but basically Februar, March and April every time I made a mortgage payment I got an alert and my score dropped respectively 5,11 and 8 points. This was about the time I started calling FICO for an explanation. Then in May I made a mortgage payment and my TU score went up 5 points. I dont' see any of the other bureaus alerting or dropping my score when I make a mortage payment.

Also what are the thresholds you mentioned. Because I've also made payments on CC to see if it would cause an increase in my score as it did in the past but nothing happened. Lol...I could have kept that extra payment.

Message 8 of 14
Elizablue
Established Member

As background and I think I already posted about doing this. I took out a re-fi on my primary and paid off all my rental properties. Well as you can imagine this caused all my scores to plummet (high 700s and low 800s down to mid 700s Smiley Mad) because I replaced perfect old credit with new credit. I hadn't expected that to happen but was in a better financial position because of it.

Then I transferred a high ratio credit card (50%) to a zero balance card. Then on the previous high ratio card I  asked for a double limit increase. Once I got it, that score eventually leveled out and starting going up because I had it under 30% use. I did that again and got a limit increase to get another card to 20% ratio. After that everything was on auto pay and should have continued to go up. But instead the mortgage payments to the new primary started dropping my score.

Message 9 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Elizablue wrote:

As background and I think I already posted about doing this. I took out a re-fi on my primary and paid off all my rental properties. Well as you can imagine this caused all my scores to plummet (high 700s and low 800s down to mid 700s Smiley Mad) because I replaced perfect old credit with new credit. I hadn't expected that to happen but was in a better financial position because of it.

Then I transferred a high ratio credit card (50%) to a zero balance card. Then on the previous high ratio card I  asked for a double limit increase. Once I got it, that score eventually leveled out and starting going up because I had it under 30% use. I did that again and got a limit increase to get another card to 20% ratio. After that everthing was on auto pay and should have continued to go up. But instead the mortgage payments to the new primary started dropping my score.

I seriously doubt that making mortgage payments dropped your score.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.