Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drop (-15) for 1 inquiry???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Drop (-15) for 1 inquiry???

This score decrease may be caused by this new reason:

• You've recently been looking for credit.

anybody ever had anything like this happen? the only thing i can think of is maybe a higher balance reported on 1 of my cc's. but i am pretty sure i paid it off before the cut off date. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score Drop (-15) for 1 inquiry???

You're right. The culprit is probably something else coupled with the inquiry. Get a magnifying glass, highlighter, and a fine-toothed comb and go through your report if you are to discover what the issue is.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junejer wrote:
You're right. The culprit is probably something else coupled with the inquiry. Get a magnifying glass, highlighter, and a fine-toothed comb and go through your report if you are to discover what the issue is.

I'm going to guess it is 2 factors. Inq + 1 more thing. Usually the hardest hit but not always for inqs seems to be -10 from CRs I reviewed.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

really? i was always under the impression that inquiries only hurt your score a couple pts...my score is low already (583) thats why i thought the drop had to be something more.

Message Edited by Alexandria on 10-23-2008 04:06 PM
Message 4 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, were you approved for any credit with that inquiry? A new account could easily ding you 20-25 points if your mix of credit is good.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
OP, were you approved for any credit with that inquiry? A new account could easily ding you 20-25 points if your mix of credit is good.

well at first i thought that but i do not think i was approved since i got the whole 30 day thing Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 13
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Check through your report and look for accounts with birthdays (6 mos, 1 yr., 2 yrs., etc.). Again, I don't think that the INQ alone was the culprit. Usually, there are multiple factors involved when losing points.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junejer wrote:
Check through your report and look for accounts with birthdays (6 mos, 1 yr., 2 yrs., etc.). Again, I don't think that the INQ alone was the culprit. Usually, there are multiple factors involved when losing points.

wouldn't a birthday give my score an increase?

Message 8 of 13
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah it would. I guess I started thinking that the INQ could've been worse. Cousin just called me the other day screaming about an INQ that cost him 18 point. IDK, I am grasping at straws here.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junejer wrote:
Yeah it would. I guess I started thinking that the INQ could've been worse. Cousin just called me the other day screaming about an INQ that cost him 18 point. IDK, I am grasping at straws here.

yeah its funny, last month i had 6 inq drop off (car loan) on the same day and i received a 2 pt increase on EQ Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.