cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped 15 points for closing newest credit card account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Dropped 15 points for closing newest credit card account?

I had a question about how closing a revolving credit account affects my credit score. Recently I close the NEWEST credit card I held, and that credit limit of that card only accounted for about 5% of my total available credit. ALL of my scores dropped from anywhere between 15-25 points? From all I have read, that seems like a drastic impact (especially since that drops me from excellent to very good)...What would this happen? Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score Dropped 15 points for closing newest credit card account?

Myfico'ers can weigh in on this but, I will add my card closing experiences. Lost 24 Fico points since June by closing cards. Not happy. Told this is a temporary experience. Hmm ...
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score Dropped 15 points for closing newest credit card account?

Hey RamblingB.  The folks here may be able to help you better if you give them the following info:

How many open cards did you have before you closed the card?

How many were showing a positive balance?

Had this card been showing a $0 balance for at least a month when it was closed?

What was your total utilization before you closed the card?  After?

How is it that you know know that the card closure caused the drop?  Is there anything else that might have been happening aound the same time or in the month before that might have contributed to it?

Did the creditor delete the account or is it simply listed as closed?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.