cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped for 0% utilization help me understand.

tag
1hotcat
Regular Contributor

Score Dropped for 0% utilization help me understand.

This seem too complicated to understand. HELP 

Last month I had 1% utilization and my score was increasing.  So I paid the balance on the one card had and my score dropped 35 pts eq and 19pts tu ex ? Anyone knows the mystery behind this ?

Starting Scores:

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 740 (All 3 Bureau's) June 2024 **

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
The 1st stone looks just like a stone until one day you realize that you put one on top of the other and now it's a skyscraper .  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Score Dropped for 0% utilization help me understand.

@1hotcat wrote:

This seem too complicated to understand. HELP 

Last month I had 1% utilization and my score was increasing.  So I paid the balance on the one card had and my score dropped 35 pts eq and 19pts tu ex ? Anyone knows the mystery behind this ?

Fico does not like 0% utilization because that means you are not using credit. Fico is a tool for lenders  to score your credit worthiness and for this you need to use some credit. Looking at it like this it might make a bit more sense?

Best results is 0 balance on all but 1 account and on that 1 account 1-9% ...this will optimize your Fico score Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
1hotcat
Regular Contributor

I thought that was the case. I wanted to get my score up a little more to qualify for a better rate for a car loan. I forgot to mention that I am rebuilding my credit. 9 months in on my 1st card and 5 others since. Paid 100% since.  That is why I'm so heartburned over the drop in scores.  Now how will it take get the scores back up? It is a pretty big drop.  

Starting Scores:

The 1st stone looks just like a stone until one day you realize that you put one on top of the other and now it's a skyscraper .  

Message 3 of 5
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@1hotcat wrote:

I thought that was the case. I wanted to get my score up a little more to qualify for a better rate for a car loan. I forgot to mention that I am rebuilding my credit. 9 months in on my 1st card and 5 others since. Paid 100% since.  That is why I'm so heartburned over the drop in scores.  Now how will it take get the scores back up? It is a pretty big drop.  

Don't worry ...Fico has no memory. Score drops for utilization reasons will come  right back up as soon as you pay  down or in your case as soon as you let 1% report again.  Once your lenders report for next month it will get corrected immediately. 

Message 4 of 5
1hotcat
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I think I will go on a 1% shopping spree. Gas station here I come.

Starting Scores:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.