cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped from 809 to 754- due to new auto loan or Xmas shopping on CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score Dropped from 809 to 754- due to new auto loan or Xmas shopping on CC?

thanks- that aspect I understand. However, isn't paying anytime during the current statement cycle accomplishing the same thing?

For example, I assume that my December statement cycle is hitting the curent score; most due dates are between the 10th and the 25th of the month. If I pay them all today, why would that affect the scores differently than paying them 3 days before the due dates? The January statement cycles would have the same balances either way.

Just curious, and trying to learn. :-) BTW, I pay electronically, and do base the payments mostly on the due dates.

thanks!

Message 11 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks- that aspect I understand. However, isn't paying anytime during the current statement cycle accomplishing the same thing?

For example, I assume that my December statement cycle is hitting the curent score; most due dates are between the 10th and the 25th of the month. If I pay them all today, why would that affect the scores differently than paying them 3 days before the due dates? The January statement cycles would have the same balances either way.

Just curious, and trying to learn. :-) BTW, I pay electronically, and do base the payments mostly on the due dates.

thanks!

No, not necessarily. Most CCs will report the balance you had on your statement date and they will only report one time per month around that statement date. When you or a lender pulls your FICO score, the score is being calculated based on what is reported to your CR at that moment. If you paid in full a credit card by the due date, but use it again prior to the statement date, then that credit card company can end up reporting a higher balance to your credit reports when the statement cuts.

For example, let's say your due date is 1/15 and you have a balance due of $1000. Let's say you pay it with the full intention to get $0 to report and you paid the $1000 by the 1/15 due date. You now have a $0 balance CC as of that moment. Typically, statements will cut 3-5 days after the due date. So, hypothetically, you can have a statement date of 1/18. If you use that newly paid $0 balance CC after the due date but before the statement date, and let's say you spend $1500 on whatever, then $1500 could report if the transaction clears before the 1/18 statement date. Instead of $0 reporting on your credit reports, a higher balance reports of $1500 because your CC will report the balance you had on the statement date.

In my mind, I have two due dates. One is the CC due date and always pay by then. The other due date in my mind is the statement date. I make sure I have a payment into them on or before the statement date to make sure I get the balance to report what I want to report. Usually, I'll pay once in full by the due date and then shelve the card until the statement cuts.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

aha- got it, thanks! I forgot that the due date and statement date don't coincide. thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tend to use my Amex cards and one  Visa card throughout the month, so most of those would show up on the statement date (and report) regardless. I will keep an eye on the other cards though.

Appreciate it.

Message 13 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

aha- got it, thanks! I forgot that the due date and statement date don't coincide. thanks for the detailed explanation.

I tend to use my Amex cards and one  Visa card throughout the month, so most of those would show up on the statement date (and report) regardless. I will keep an eye on the other cards though.

Appreciate it.

You can still pay what shows. Even if more charges appear on the statement after this, it's a whole lot better to have $100 reporting than $1000.  Smiley Wink

You don't need to torture your cards, although it's kind of fun when there isn't a whole lot else you can do on your credit. Just reducing reported util from where it is now should help.

At any rate, you have the info you need to more informed decisions, and that's what's important. Hope it all helped!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all.

quick update: since the original post, my scores went back up twice, first to 766, and today to 777. So, things are trending back upward. Real interesting that the first increase happened on the date that the new car instalment loan also showed on FICO....

Now to get it over 800 again.... fat chance, leaving for a bahamas cruise in a week- can we say credit card usage?  :-)

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.