Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Drops due to becoming Debt Free

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Drops due to becoming Debt Free

I had over 40K in cc debt and finally last month I became debt free. I know many people on the forums have said it was better to have the ccc report a balance and then PIF but I wanted to see what would happen if my two cc reported a zero balance. 

So far....

BOA reported my balance last night. It had a credit on it as I had gotten a credit from one of the merchants. Last month the balance was $600 now it stands as credit of $32....my equifax fico went from 773 to 763....creditkarma's transunion score has held steady at 789.

Now I am waiting to see what happens when Citi reports its zero balance. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score Drops due to becoming Debt Free

Generally, letting one card report a small balance generates a slightly better score than having all cards report zero balances.
Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Let us know what happens if you have $0 across the board. With me, it was 2/ 4/ 6 point drops, although I can't remember which drop for which bureau. (This was back when we had EX FICO's.)

Your scores are higher than mine, so your drops would probably be higher as well.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

These days my TU score will go up 10 points for 0% util and my EQ score goes down 3.  IMHO my EX score drop 4 points for 0% util which was the case for my EX score in my sig.  Its last known score prior to this was 760 and I had 1% util.  I do not know why TU likes 0% util these days.  I would love to know what TU'04 would say on having 0% reported.

LOL it seems more work these days to manage zero CC debt since I have to remember to use the cards and decide what I want reported, if any.  I think I'm going to report 0% util for awhile and PIF the cards I use prior to the statement date and hope I dont see any AA.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.