Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Goes Up then Down

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Score Goes Up then Down

I have been agressively paying down my very high balances/utilization since January. I suffered a 25 point score drop in March when I paid off an auto loan with 2 remaining open installment loans (1 auto, 1 personal), By the first week in June I had finally recoved that score loss, lowered my overall revolving utilization from above 90% to near 69%. I know it's still high, but I'm doing the best I can, especially with CCCs dropping CLs as I pay them down. I finally started to see my scores increase in May from my balances going down and they were all finally in the "good" range. T oday I got a 10 point drop on EQ and 5 point drop on TU with balances still decreasing, and no specific reason given. What gives? I can't figure out what happened.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Score Goes Up then Down

You might want to check that they are not still balance chasing you on the CCs, thus raising your utilization regardless that you are paying it down. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you getting your scores from?  Website?

Message 3 of 7
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Where are you getting your scores from?  Website?

I'm sorry I thought I mentioned that-I use MyFico 3B monitoring and follow my scores very closely.  I didn't see any new CL drops in the past few days either.  I had a score drop drop 1st of month from Hard Inquiry I was told wasn't going to be pulled so it shouldn't be dropping again from that

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That 25 point drop from the installment loan: were your remaining loans really new or showing 100% of original loan amount still due?

With the new point drops, other than inquiries, did you have any new accounts report?

Message 5 of 7
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That 25 point drop from the installment loan: were your remaining loans really new or showing 100% of original loan amount still due?

With the new point drops, other than inquiries, did you have any new accounts report?

My personal loan I got 03/2015 for 48 months so 03/2017 when the payoff reported it was half paid paid. The loan I paid was opened 06/2014.  Just before I opened that auto loan I had to pay off another auto loan. There was no score change and I had no other loans.  My current auto loan was opened in 08/2016 and was reporting at 81% of the original amount when the payoff posted and the account reported closed. I think the newest account reporting is the auto loan.  Most of my inquiries are from auto buying but they are not being considered that way.

Message 6 of 7
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Bottom line scores go up and down, down and up. And there is a plethora of reasons why..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.