cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Reported Differently for Fico Score 8?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Reported Differently for Fico Score 8?

Just curious since I started to rebuild my credit and the only service using is myFico. Since Late December, my Experian score is around 690 while Equifax and TransUnion are in the 660s. Is this normal? I see all my credit card companies reports to all three with the same information, etc.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Score Reported Differently for Fico Score 8?

Welcome to the forum 

Sorry to say yes this is normal and will always vary with each CB

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes agreed this is normal. Reason being is even though all three scores are FICO8, each Credit Agency has a little proprietary twist on the basic FICO8 algorithm.

Message 3 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious since I started to rebuild my credit and the only service using is myFico. Since Late December, my Experian score is around 690 while Equifax and TransUnion are in the 660s. Is this normal? I see all my credit card companies reports to all three with the same information, etc.

Fico 08 limits customizing of the scoring model by the CRAs substantially relative to Fico 04 and Fico 98. IF you have identical data on each of your CRA files, a spread on scores of 10 to 20 points is pretty standard for Fico 08 Classic scores. However, a 30 point difference would be an indication to me that you may have a difference in CRA file data that is an influencing factor as opposed to just CRA model tweaks.

I see differences in # closed accounts and AAoA in my files. I also see differences in aggregate CL due to one CRA including a card's CL while another does not (perhaps due to inactivity). Are you an AU on any cards? I believe some posters have been experienced a loss of CLs on AU cards relative to aggregate CL.

Here is a recent example:

A poster, SJ, reported one CRA scoring him 30 points lower than the other two CRAs. Files appeared to be essentially the same. However, upon closer inspecion:

1) The two CRAs reporting higher score correctly listed his small installment loan amount at $500 with a balance of $78 as I recall.[amount of debt = Excellent]

2) The CRA reporting the lower score incorrectly listed the installment loan amount at $100 with a balance of $78.[amount of debt = Very Good]

This was SJ's only installment loan. The reported balance is correct with all CRAs but the scoring metric is based on % not amount.

1)In #1 balance to loan ratio is 15.6% => no score ding, remaing balance as a % of loan is not high

2) In #2 balance to loan ratio is 78% => score ding relating to high remaining balance %

Inquiry note:

Credit card issuers and Credit Unions typically pull a report from only one CRA when you apply for new credit/membership. These pulls result in a hard inquiry on only some CRA reports but not others. The same may be true for personal loans and auto loans. Check your reports for differences in hard inquiry count relating to the last 12 months. If you are an "active" credit seeker, inquiry count differences may explain some of your point difference.

For example, one poster reported 9 inquiries less than 12 months old on one CRA report, 3 inquiries on the 2nd report and 0 on the 3rd report. A report with 9 inquiries certainly could score 15 to 20 points less than a report with 0 inquiries.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fico 08 limits customizing of the scoring model by the CRAs substantially relative to Fico 04 and Fico 98. IF you have identical data on each of your CRA files, a spread on scores of 10 to 20 points is pretty standard for Fico 08 Classic scores. However, a 30 point difference would be an indication to me that you may have a difference in CRA file data that is an influencing factor as opposed to just CRA model tweaks.

I see differences in # closed accounts and AAoA in my files. I also see differences in aggregate CL due to one CRA including a card's CL while another does not (perhaps due to inactivity). Are you an AU on any cards? I believe some posters have been experienced a loss of CLs on AU cards relative to aggregate CL.

Here is a recent example:

A poster, SJ, reported one CRA scoring him 30 points lower than the other two CRAs. Files appeared to be essentially the same. However, upon closer inspecion:

1) The two CRAs reporting higher score correctly listed his small installment loan amount at $500 with a balance of $78 as I recall.[amount of debt = Excellent]

2) The CRA reporting the lower score incorrectly listed the installment loan amount at $100 with a balance of $78.[amount of debt = Very Good]

This was SJ's only installment loan. The reported balance is correct with all CRAs but the scoring metric is based on % not amount.

1)In #1 balance to loan ratio is 15.6% => no score ding, remaing balance as a % of loan is not high

2) In #2 balance to loan ratio is 78% => score ding relating to high remaining balance %

Inquiry note:

Credit card issuers and Credit Unions typically pull a report from only one CRA when you apply for new credit/membership. These pulls result in a hard inquiry on only some CRA reports but not others. The same may be true for personal loans and auto loans. Check your reports for differences in hard inquiry count relating to the last 12 months. If you are an "active" credit seeker, inquiry count differences may explain some of your point difference.

For example, one poster reported 9 inquiries less than 12 months old on one CRA report, 3 inquiries on the 2nd report and 0 on the 3rd report. A report with 9 inquiries certainly could score 15 to 20 points less than a report with 0 inquiries.

Good memory Thomas Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

TT has just given a concrete example of something I have seen dozens of time here.  A person thinks he has identical data, but there are small differences that could make a big difference.  Even if the accounts are identical, there might be a "date opened" that is in error on one account on one report.

Even when you feel certain that there must be something different between two reports, it can take hours to find the difference -- and this happened with me in recent memory.  (There was one card reporting as $0 on two CRAs and $5 on another.  All three reports had the same total utilization and even the $5 card was showing an individual U of 0% according to the reporting tool.)

I agree with TT that the customization issue was much more likely to create significant differences in earlier models.  When I last pulled all my scores, my reports now did have exactly identical data and my FICO 8 Classic scores are all within 1 point of each other.  My reports are clean, fairly low util, and don't have any unusual accounts; so perhaps the Customization Variance kicks in more if the reports have lates or if there are strange accounts.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about that. I will sit down in a week or so and scrutinise my credit report.

But on a quick view

Experian FICO8: 820

Accounts: 10

AAoA: 9.2yrs

Inquiry less than 1yr: 1

Equifax FICO8: 839

Accounts: 9

AAoA: 8.9yrs

Inquiry less than 1yr: 0

Only account that Experian  has is a clean closed credit card account that is like 14yrs old, that fell off. All accounts appear to be reporting same. I doubt one inquiry is causing a 19 point difference. Experian  has always lagged behind scoring wise for me.

Now I do have a AU card reporting to both of these CRA's but it is identical info. Also have a joint account reporting with identical info.

I'm not really worried about it, but I just don't see a 19 point disparity on the Experian  credit report. Which leads me to believe there is some tweaking by each CRA.

Message 7 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Slimshady66,

Thanks for sharing your data.

Best I can tell is once AAoA reaches 8 years no more points are available in this category (or from my viewpoint execution is satisfied so no points deducted). However, inquiries are another matter entirely. Inquiries are binned into groups for scoring and the top group is zero. So, the single inquiry is almost certainly costing you 5 points. Inquiry bins have not been verified relative to Fico 08 but my guess is they may be:

1) 0

2) 1 - 2

3) 3 - 4

4) 5 - 9

5) 10 or more

Note: Since inquiries can be coded as a group (as with auto loan or mortgage applications), a count only review on a CRA report can be misleading.

Factoring in a 5 point deduct brings your scores between the two CRAs to within 15 points.

Let us know if you see any other differences after reviewing details.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thomas_Thumb  Thanks for your experienced take on it.

I agree the one inquiry is costing me at least 5 points. So, in reality, your right, there is a 15 point disparity.

I am also aware, the higher your score the more volatile events effect it. Will go over the credit reports next week sometime, see if I can figure it out. 

On another note, the 8 and 9 year AAoA was reported by CCT. However when I pull myFICO reports, the AU appears not to count which drops my AAoA in the 6 year range. But the FICO8 scores are the same between MyFico and CCT. Weird, but whatever, not loosing sleep over it.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my monthly 3B pull from CCT so I can add some data to the discussion. There is a 17 point difference between my TU score and my EX score with identical data. Addtional note: All files have 3 inquiries in the last 12 months.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.