Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Watch Alert-Increase of 2400%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score Watch Alert-Increase of 2400%

I'm still battling the see-saw effect (LOL!)

I went directly to equifax because I wanted to see the bizarre score drop and increase exactly when it happens not 3 days late. I finally saw it in action.

Score Change

06/16/2008

Your score has changed from 659 to 618. View alert details for more information about why your score changed

Score Change

06/16/2008

Your score has changed from 618 to 659. View alert details for more information about why your score changed.

Thats why evertime I tried to pull before the score goes down I couldn't figure out what was going on because the bump occurs at the same time. I emailed equifax watch this morning but I dont think they will be able to help. I have old paid collections, judgement from bk in 2002.

Decrease Remarks...

• Serious delinquency or derogatory indicators/remarks, and public record or collection information is being reported on your credit file
  • There is evidence of multiple accounts with missing payments or having derogatory indicators/remarks reported

Increase remarks...

Your FICO® score went up on a day when there were no credit alerts on your Equifax Credit Report™. This can happen if:

• The balances on one or more of your credit accounts decreased. Decreasing high balances usually helps your FICO score.
  • The credit limit on one or more of your credit accounts increased. If your balances remain the same or lower, an increased credit limit usually helps your FICO score.
  • Negative information on your credit report, such as a bankruptcy, collection, or record of a late payment, was removed because it was more than 7 years old (or 10 years old in the case of a bankruptcy).
  • Negative information on your credit report is not harming your FICO score as much as before because it is now older. Continuing to demonstrate responsible credit behavior like paying all your bills on time will continue to help your FICO score.
Message 11 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

When you e-mailed Equifax, did you mention the phrase "possible split file"? That generally gets their attention!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a split file, or shall I say I don't really understand.
I heard if you pull your file too much it can split and something about maiden names and married names... Dont laugh I really have no clue! 
Message 13 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
What is a split file, or shall I say I don't really understand.
I heard if you pull your file too much it can split and something about maiden names and married names... Dont laugh I really have no clue! 

Check back on message 6, previous page:
ash, whenever your EQ score starts going up and down by the exact amount, I worry about a split file. Part of your file falls off and either does or doesn't get counted with the rest, so the score varies. Alternatively, one portion of your file gets counted one time, and the other portion is counted the other.
It's a bit hard to visualize, because all your data is stored electronically, but I guess the equivalent would be a file drawer that's brim full, and you try to cram more paper into it. Some of what's already in there might slide out the back of the drawer through that little gap, so that when you open the drawer to pull our your records, some of them aren't there. They haven't vanished for good, but they've dropped down into the next drawer down. You have to go open up that next-lower drawer to find the missing papers and get them back with the rest. (Actually, this happens with my socks!)

Since your FICO score is generated instantaneously by whatever is in your reports at that moment, if part of the info is bouncing back and forth, in and out of your file, you'll get varying scores. And like I said, the real indicator is when your score goes up and down repeatedly by the exact amount. Sometimes the whole file is being evaluated for scoring, and sometimes only part. Another possibility is that only part of your file gets scored one time, and the other part gets scored the next time.

I have heard something about maybe this can happen from multiple names, but as I understand it, the most common reason by far is frequent score pulls. It isn't common when you think about the number of credit consumers there are, but it happens enough that your CSR ought to know what you're talking about, and who to pass it on to.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.