Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Watch Alert confusion...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Watch Alert confusion...

I got a Score Watch Alert email, went to MyFico, and checked the status of the alert, which said in the first line:

Alert: The balance in one of your accounts has increased

Then it went on to say :
This score decrease may be caused by this new reason:
You recently opened a new credit account 
I know about the balance increase on an existing account, but I didn't open any new accounts. Naturally, I thought identity theft, and ordered a combination credit report. No new accounts were reported.

The balance increase was on a credit card that I hadn't used in a while. Do you think MyFico is interpreting the increased balance of a relatively inactive account as a new account? If so, I th9ink this is wrong.

The Score Watch Alert did go on to show the account name where the balance increased. If I were to open a new account, and Score Watch catches it, would it report the name of that new account in a Score Watch Alert?

CC

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Score Watch Alert confusion...

Yes it always does for me.
Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I got a Score Watch Alert email, went to MyFico, and checked the status of the alert, which said in the first line:
Alert: The balance in one of your accounts has increased
Then it went on to say :
This score decrease may be caused by this new reason:
You recently opened a new credit account
I got one of these, but the reason they stated for "may be caused" was recent late payments. I just about had a stroke, as lates are my only baddies, and paid for all three scores and reports. (This was back before I used TC.) No new lates. I've learned not to take them literally.

It probably was the new activity on the semi-dormant card.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur about new activity on the "semi-dormant card"
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.