Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score bucket drop= lower score???

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Score bucket drop= lower score???

If you anticipate a score bucket drop because of a lower AAoA  will your scores take a hit as well?

I'm trying to understand if, in some way, a lower bucket  may help your score. Would  you receive

a benefi t or a penalty  by carrying a higher score to a lower bucket. I'm almost sure FICO has found a way

to punish you for such a move.  True or False.

Thanks for any replies

5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Score bucket drop= lower score???

Most major score "rebucketing" occurs due to much more significant FICO categories,, such as the dropping or addution of a major derog, or significant changes in % util.

Account age is not one of the most significant FICO scoring categories, and AAoA is only a portion of that scoring, along with oldest accounts.

I dont think the impact will be major.

There really are no lowe or higher "buckets."  Just new ones that place different emphasis on the various FICO factors.

No one can tell you the affect of being scored under a new algorithm, other than Brother Fair Isaac.  And he wont tell.

Message 2 of 6
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks RobertEG.

You helped clarify  some of the mysteries with FICO scoring.

If I understand correctly, AAoA of accounts is not  a significant portion of scoring.

Anyone can have a 750+ score in a  2yr bucket,  6yr bucket, or 12yr bucket. I think?

Is the only concern about  AAoA the emphasis given  to it by lenders,thus, the only reason it's

included in the consumer version of  a credit report?

RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Buckets" are not determined primarily by your age of credit history.

What scoring algorithm you are placed in is a branching tree, of which length of credit is not the trunk.

The trunk are the major factors, namely pyment history and current util.

There are two major factos that Fair Isaac has identified as the major factors in generation of your credit score.

First, at 35% of total score, is payment history.

Second, at 30% of total score, is util of existing credit.

Third, fouth, and fifth in the tree of credit bracketind are lenghth of credit (15%), new inquiries (10%) and credit mix (10%)

How FICO determines what agorithm, or "bucket," you are placed in is not published by them.  But is is not totally transparent.

Common sense, and other published literature (see U.S. Patent No. 6,202,053)   leads to the conclusion that their first branch of the tree is based your current payment history (lack or presence of any major derog)

On that branch will spread twigs that lead to further sub-algorithms based on % util. and then sub-sub branches based on length of credit, and so on.

If you have a major derog, then other main branch algortihms may be used to create branches that then consider, in order of FICO scoring prioritiy, payment history, length of credit, and then the minor categories of inquireis and credit mix. 

If you don have a major derog,that may pass you onto a different major branch, based primarily on util of existing credit, but then "twgging out" for various credit lentdths, inquires, and credit min.

So on and so on,.

When yiou add all of the most likely branches and subbrances up, it totals about 12 possibilities.

Each has its own scoring algorithm, which asseses the risk, under those conditions, and comparison  with other consumers in that same bucket, of your predicted fisk for future default.  It is different for each of these scoring algorithms, or "buckets."

Message 4 of 6
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks again, RobertEG.

This  time around,  (since you told me twice)   I was able to find your reference.

I also found numerous scholarly discussions on scoring and scorecards  (circa 2008 ).

From the  reasoning witnessed in these discussions, I suspect you were involved.

You + GOOGLE are my friend.

Macroman
Regular Contributor

The only way that most of us know that we've moved to a different bucket is that the score moves in the opposite direction that you would normally expect. For example many people have observed that when a 7 year old late payment falls off the report the score can actually go down, especially if it was a single 30 day late.

We don't know in general how many buckets there are or what factors are used. We probably would not know that there are buckets if CRAs had their choice in the matter.

Generally the effects that are observed from buckets are small and temporary.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.