Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score bump for an inquiry?

tag
longhorn11
New Contributor

Score bump for an inquiry?

So while I'm waiting on chase to get back with me on my sapphire preferred app, I went ahead and joined penfed last night and was approved for their platinum visa card. Tonight I got a message from score watch about the inquiry so I checked my score and it went up 3 pts. No clue how that happened, but I'll take it. Smiley Happy Anyone else have a similar experience?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Score bump for an inquiry?

@longhorn11 wrote:
So while I'm waiting on chase to get back with me on my sapphire preferred app, I went ahead and joined penfed last night and was approved for their platinum visa card. Tonight I got a message from score watch about the inquiry so I checked my score and it went up 3 pts. No clue how that happened, but I'll take it. Smiley Happy Anyone else have a similar experience?

Bump must be due to other things i.e history, reduced util, old inq not factoring etc.

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto...I once got a SW alert for +20 due to adding an inquiry. The inquiry didn't give me 20, but a baddie fell off that resulted in a net gain of 20. SW won't alert you to dropped balances, dropped baddies, etc. (only increases), so it could have been due to what CS800 mentioned above.

Message 3 of 5
longhorn11
New Contributor

Good points. I just reviewed my report on usaa, I completely forgot my utilization went from 88% to 94% available. Should have realized that. Well at least that absorbed the negative from the inquiry.
Message 4 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@longhorn11 wrote:

I can assure you the INQ did not net a increase, but something else on your report did (ie: history of accounts)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.