Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score decrease?!

tag
cgreer72
Regular Contributor

Score decrease?!

So my Cap1 card is finally reporting. I thought this would help my score. Nope.....had a four point decrease! Why is this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score decrease?!

How many other open CCs do you have?

Did your util change at all when this was added?

Message 2 of 6
cgreer72
Regular Contributor

No other CC. I had a zero balance when it posted.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

This is your first open CC and its a bank card?

Hmmmmmmm........

My brain cells are trying to wake up post-grilled yummy cheeseburger dinner.  Whilst I try to get them going, perhaps you could tell us what your AAofA was before and after opening this CC?

Any thoughts from you gurus on the zero balance?  A zero balance on all your CC's (even if all your CC's is a big numero uno) can cost you FICO points (maybe 10????), and a lower AAofA can cost you FICO points (maybe 10???), but can they cost you enough to zero out adding your first open bank card (typically about +20 points - at least IME).  And the inquiry was already accounted for in your previous FICO score?

And, OP,  I've not read your other posts - your score is a FICO from this site?  TU or EQ?

Message 4 of 6
cgreer72
Regular Contributor

This is my first opened CC in about 20 years. Im trying to rebuild. I just opened this card about two months ago. I did pull my EQ report from this site. Im signed up with SW. How do I determine my AAoA?

Your FICO® score decreased to 641 on May 18, 2011.

Target score alert:Your FICO® score has dropped past your target score of 645.

This score decrease may be caused by this new reason:

• You've recently been looking for credit.

CAPITAL ONE  (XXXXXXXXXXXX3192)
Opened: 4/2011

Balance:$0Credit limit or largest balance:Not Reported
Past due:Not ReportedPayment terms:Not Reported
Portfolio type:Revolving or Option  

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If this is your only CC and you have no closed ones or CO'd ones with a balance, then I would have expected an increase. I'd look around for other changes to your EQ, though most other changes would have been picked up by SW anyway. Absent changes, then I'd look for changes in the pos/neg and if every one is jumbled up, then I'd write it off as rebucketing.

IME, I had zero CCs after a 7 yr credit hiatus and when I added the first, I saw a 30 pt gain. In your case, I still would expect a net gain beginning in a month or two as points gradually return due to the newness wearing off, with a modest bump a year out.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.