Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drop after au account canceled

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score drop after au account canceled

I was an Au on my husband's Walmart account.  He called and removed me.  Equifax removed it totally.  TU reported it closed at consumers request.  Experian put "terminated" in the remarks section.  My scores dropped 8 pts with Equifax, increased 5 pts with TU and dropped 16 points with Experian.  I am going to call and have this account removed from my report.

I don't know why there would have been any kind of scoring drop.  The account was opened March of last year and shouldn't impact my AAoA.  It had a balance so I would think my score would have either remained the same or even gained a couple points.  The only thing I can think of with Experian is the "terminated" classification created the big drop.  I haven't had any changes to my accounts for a while other than utilization going down (7% currently)

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
message_from_god
New Contributor

Re: Score drop after au account canceled

Following

Progress FICO8 since summer 2015 Eq 763 (+171) TU 798 (+189) Ex 761 (+259)
Message 2 of 6
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Maybe it factored into your Utilization.. that or Average age of accounts?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still haven't been able to figure this out.  My utilization is 7%.  It hasn't effected my AAOA.  The only thing I can figure out is experian may factor au accounts more than the other 2?  The account hasn'the updated since July and is stuck showing a balance of $127 that was paid when the statement cut.  

I asked that it be removed since I am no longer on this account nor am I responsible for it.  It shows a dispute as "pending investigation" on my credit report and I have no idea why.  This is really weird.  

Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I still haven't been able to figure this out.  My utilization is 7%.  It hasn't effected my AAOA.  The only thing I can figure out is experian may factor au accounts more than the other 2?  The account hasn'the updated since July and is stuck showing a balance of $127 that was paid when the statement cut.  

I asked that it be removed since I am no longer on this account nor am I responsible for it.  It shows a dispute as "pending investigation" on my credit report and I have no idea why.  This is really weird.  

My guess is the closed w/balance may not be happy; that said if the account is under an active dispute it may be excluded anyway.  AU accounts I don't think factor differently, though they may have counted on one but not the other, hard to say, AU's are funny animals under FICO 8 and there's contrary data points on them.

Generally speaking all bets are off if there's an active dispute so I wouldn't read too much into this as of yet, but the status field shouldn't really matter, I hadn't seen terminated previously.

        
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion just updated and the au account is gone.  My scores dropped 26 pts.  I know its a big hit but if I am trying to build my own credit, I might as well have my own accounts vs someone else's driving my scores.  I am sure they will bounce back soon enough.  Even with the drop, my score is 763.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.