cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drop for lowered AAOA after New CC?

tag
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

Score drop for lowered AAOA after New CC?

Right now, my AAOA is 10 years old. I want to apply for a CC..but I know that will lower my AAOA to around 8 years. Has anyone seen a drop in their score from a lowered AAOA? I'm particularly worried since it seems like the 10 year mark is a special boundary when it comes to age. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score drop for lowered AAOA after New CC?

@abundancejones wrote:

Right now, my AAOA is 10 years old. I want to apply for a CC..but I know that will lower my AAOA to around 8 years. Has anyone seen a drop in their score from a lowered AAOA? I'm particularly worried since it seems like the 10 year mark is a special boundary when it comes to age. 

Yes, in going from 2 -> 1 years.

That said, AAOA loses resolution after about 5 years so so, as it experiences significant diminishing returns.  I wouldn't worry about it if it's a good CC for you unless you are prepping for a mortgage (in which case you should really be asking yourself which is more important, the house or the credit card... and not applying for the credit card till after closing), you may get a small ding but it's not going to be earthshattering.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.