Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drop with 1 card reporting a balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score drop with 1 card reporting a balance

I don't believe so.

My understanding has always been that if you close a CC, the limit of that card is no longer included into overall limits.  Since the card is closed, you no longer possess that line of credit so it should be excluded from your total limits.  The balance, however, exists whether or not a card is open or closed.  So, closing a card with a balance would therefore raise aggregate utilization.  As we all know, depending on overall limits and the balance left on the closed account, the increase to aggregate utilization could be anywhere from nothing to significant.

In this situation though, I believe the OP closed an account that had a zero balance anyway.  He did state that the balance he had on his one card reporting a balance was high, but I don't believe he quantified the amount of the balance, or the credit limit for that matter, so we do not know the utilization percentage on that revolver.

Message 11 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

I finally had BofA update my balance on a closed account to $0 on my EX report. I now only have 1 card reporting a balance, a rather high balance, but a balance nonetheless. Unfortunately, what's happened now is my score dropped over 25 points! Smiley Mad 

I thought the ideal situation was to have only one card report a balance? I guess the bonus is that my utilization rate went down significantly Smiley Happy, but I was hoping the lower utilization would boost my score. Smiley Sad

OP, what is the balance on the NFCU card? What is the limit on the NFCU card?

How about the other cards? What are the limits on those?

Regarding closed cards, I had two closed cards with balances when I joined MF, now one. One had a ~20k the other ~5k limits.  The cards were not included in the TU All Bankcards balance, nor on the limits that were showing on the utilization calculations that I could see. EQ is the only one who mentions them, as the balance comes down, but they don't seem to have any influence, directly, on score calculations. I am sure there is some way they are factored in, but we won't be able to suss that out.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most important question I have is where are you getting your credit score from?  Website?

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.