cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped 28 points due to ordering cable Internet service!?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped 28 points due to ordering cable Internet service!?!

This makes no sense.  My cable Internet provider did an inquiry to see if I would need to give them deposit.  They decided I didn't need to give a deposit. 

A few days later, I get this message from myFico: 

"Robert,

There are a few changes to your credit report today:
  • A new inquiry has been added to your credit report.

Also, your FICO® score has decreased by 28"

COX COMMUNICATIONS
Inquiry date: 5/1/2007  
What is an inquiry? Score Watch sends you an alert of a new inquiry when there has been an application for a new credit account in your name.

How inquiries impact your score: New inquiries on a credit report may lower the FICO score by a modest amount. Multiple inquiries can lower the score a little more than a single inquiry. But note that multiple inquiries within a two-week period are treated as a single inquiry.

Multiple inquiries may indicate that a consumer is in desperate search of credit. Typically, the more badly a consumer needs credit, the greater the chances that they cannot pay debts. This is why inquiries can cause a modest drop in the FICO score.

You only receive inquiry alerts as the result of applying for new credit accounts. This is the only kind of inquiry that affects the FICO score. Other kinds, such as promotional inquiries made by credit card companies to pre-approve you for an offer, have no effect. Similarly, inquiries resulting from you accessing your own credit report, have no effect.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score dropped 28 points due to ordering cable Internet service!?!

Are you sure you didn't add more utilization to any of your revolving debt? That's a lot of points for 1 inquiry! Did you open any new accts other than that?
Message 2 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yea.. Something else had to of changed.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's it.  That's the only thing it mentions in the report anyway.
Message 4 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Look harder. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had 3 inquiries and a new account added and only lost 2 points you must of missed something
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.