cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped as soon as I purchased it

tag
WiPackFan

Score dropped as soon as I purchased it

This is my first post, if it's been covered before, forgive me...

I just got a score watch alert and found my score went up from 595 to 639.  However, when I purchased my score and report minutes later, it had dropped to 616.  Is this common?  I thought checking your score here wouldn't hurt it.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Score dropped as soon as I purchased it

Welcome to the forums !

You are correct that checking your own report won't affect your FICO score ~ the difference would have had to come from some other change on your credit reports, perhaps a change in reported balances or something like that.    Score Watch doesn't always generate an alert for every change.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
WiPackFan

Well, it happened again. I got a score watch alert that my score went up 11 points to 667. Later in the day, I purchased a report to see what may have changed, and once again my score dropped. This time by 14 points. Any ideas why this may be happening?
Message 3 of 5
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@WiPackFan wrote:
Well, it happened again. I got a score watch alert that my score went up 11 points to 667. Later in the day, I purchased a report to see what may have changed, and once again my score dropped. This time by 14 points. Any ideas why this may be happening?

What was reason given for increase? What did report look like when score was 667? And what did report look like after 14 point drop?

Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

@WiPackFan wrote:

What was reason given for increase? What did report look like when score was 667? And what did report look like after 14 point drop?

and if you are getting a ScoreWatch alert, that's not from MyFICO, correct? So are you going somewhere other than MyFICO to "buy" your score? If so, you may be getting their proprietary score which could be fundamentally different from the FICO you see on an app reasons letter, or from MyFICO.

If you buy the 3-bureau monitoring here, you start with a full set of three current CR, you get your starting FICO score, and as items change on your report (at least those which create any triggers) you get a + or - score change and a short explanation of what that change is. Then you aren't running around looking for another source and potentially confusing yourself.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.