cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drops when a balance decreases??

tag
dyneemo

Score drops when a balance decreases??

I am getting really frustrated with myfico.com. When I pay my bills on time every month and the balance decreases, my score drops.Just today an account decreased by 6% and myfico.com Experien score dropped by 5 points! What the heck? I wish I understood how this works because if I pay my cards on time and decrease my overall debt to income ratio, my score either goes down or it stays exatly the same as it woudl if I didn't pay a damn thing! It makes NO sense! Can anyone explain this to me?

I monitor my credit, I pay attention to my credit, I have worked hard to improve my scores but somehow they are going down and I don't get it. I make over 6 figures a year, pay my car payment and mortgage on time. I was late for a credit card one time, but would that cause my score to drop so harshly and then STAY there? And why does it drop when I decrease a balance on a credit card?? At this rate, my scores will never get back up to the 750 they were just 6 months ago!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score drops when a balance decreases??

Hi Dyneemo.  Sorry you are experiencing some frustration.  The bottom line is that good habits will eventually pay off, I promise.  More on exactly what those habits might be in a minute.

First, though, it's important to manage your expectations around how an "alert-based" credit monitoring system works.  The alerts are triggered by specific things, e.g. like your credit card balances changing.  But typically they do not "alert" you every time your score changes.  What that means is that your score could drop (for some reason) and you don't find out about it.  Then, days or weeks later, some alertable event happens (for example, you pay down a credit card causing the balance to change)..  At that moment, due to the alertable event, it sends you an alert specifying the event and at the same time telling you your score dropped.  To you, it seems crazy, like myFICO just told you that paying down a credit card caused your score to drop.  But that is not what happened: you are finding out about a score drop that happened for some other reason, maybe weeks ago.

Now you might say: well, hell, what good is it then?  That's a fair question.  If you find that such an "alert" based system is misleading you and (worse still) upsetting you, you may want to consider a system in which you control the exact moment that your credit score gets pulled.  You get your accounts the way you want them (CC balances, etc.) and then you tell the system to do a pull.  There are a number of credit monitoring services like that.

Second is the more important question about what might be causing problems in your credit scores and how to adopt habits that will improve them gradually over the next several months and the next few years.

Two of the most important things FICO looks at is payment history (lates, missed payments, collections, etc.) and Amounts Owed, which for your purposes means the amounts on your credit cards in relation to their credit limits.  (This is completely different from the debt-to-income ratio that you mention, which FICO doesn't consider at all, since FICO doesn't know what your income is.)  You mention that you had a late payment but didn't say when that happened.  Can you clarify?  (We would need to know any of these negative payment history events and when they happened.)  Also can you tell us what your credit card balances are and their credit limits?

Message 2 of 4
Shundarr
New Visitor

I am having the same experience. Either my score is dropping when I pay my credit card bill and going up when I have a new balance or Equifax is terrible at communicating. Why would I get an alert that my score had gone down in the same box as the statement that my balance has decreased 100% if it wasn't intended for me to think the events were connected. I have the opposite occur when my balance increases 100%. It's just another mixed message from the credit reporting indiustry.
Message 3 of 4
DollyLama
Established Contributor

You really need to trust CGID's reply. It is only a snapshot of your score for that day and time. 

Yes it would be wonderful when you see score changes triggered by any action, your installment loan paid off in 3/2010 has dropped from your report, your average age of your accounts have now decreased by 4 years, down x points. 

Your XYZ collection agency is now updating monthly after 6 months of not reporting that your account is still in collections and unpaid. Down  x points. 

You had 3 inquires fall off your credit reports, up x points.

But it doesn't. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.