Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score for mortgage lending

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score for mortgage lending

Hi,  I'm about to apply for a mortgage and am wondering what is the most accurate source of scores for this.

A lender referred me to this site and I got 695 Eq/ 705 TU / 725 Ex

*** NOTE: I thought that the Efx subscription service was ScorePower, which I now realize is incorrect. Two different products***

Equifax 3-bureau credit report gave me 723/728/729, which would put me in a different class according to the lender.

Any thoughts on which one is more reflective of what mortgage lenders are going to use?  My understanding is that ScorePower = Fico 4 which is used more for mortgage lending and MyFico = Fico 8 which is used for other installment loans and credit cards.  Is this correct?

I'm a few weeks out from applying and am weighing the benefits of paying down CCs to lower my revolving utilization (which could net me up to 40-50 points, according to the simulators) or saving that cash for now to have a better cash balance during the transaction.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score for mortgage lending

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,  I'm about to apply for a mortgage and am wondering what is the most accurate source of scores for this.

Equifax ScorePower gave me 723/728/729, which would put me in a different class according to the lender.

Any thoughts on which one is more reflective of what mortgage lenders are going to use?  My understanding is that ScorePower = Fico 4 which is used more for mortgage lending and MyFico = Fico 8 which is used for other installment loans and credit cards.  Is this correct?

I'm a few weeks out from applying and am weighing the benefits of paying down CCs to lower my revolving utilization (which could net me up to 40-50 points, according to the simulators) or saving that cash for now to have a better cash balance during the transaction.

Your information is pretty accurate; however, Score Power is the gold standard for mortgage scoring, though it only gives you the single Beacon 5.0 score last I checked.  If you got 3 scores I'd think it suspect.

MyFICO is great for a lot of things, but mortgage qualification estimation isn't one of them unless the GSE's change their underwriting policies which doesn't seem likely.

All depends how much cash you need for downpayment, closing, reserve: if you can clear that hurdle I'd toss the extra at CC's anyway to pretty things up as there's no guaruntee EX/TU will be identical to your EQ Beacon 5.0, but if it's tight I'd probably hold the cash as more cash never hurts during the mortgage process, and if the scores weren't pretty enough, get them repulled in a month or whatever after more balances paid down.

        
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Revelate, this and several of your other posts have been very helpful.

To clarify, when I signed up for Score Power, they ran a 3-bureau report with scores from each.  That's what I posted originally.  I have no idea what model is used for the Exp or TU scores, so weas taking them with a grain or three of salt.

Message 3 of 9
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax ScorePower gave me 723/728/729, which would put me in a different class according to the lender.

I'm going through the mortgage process right now myself, and have been struggling with the same thing.  EQ Scorepower was dead on accurate to the 3-bureau pull the mortgage lender did.  My myFICO TU was MUCH lower than what the lender pulled (643 on myFICO vs. 693 on 3bureau), and my EX was a few points higher on the 3 bureau pull vs myFICO as well..... HOWEVER, that being said.... I've been reading the posts on here and watching to see if I could see ANY trends in scoring on myFICO vs the 3 bureau, and there doesn't appear to be.  It's all based on your individual credit profile and the ONLY way to get that is to have your lender pull it.

I broke down and had my lender do the pull.  The 2pt hit for the HP was worth KNOWING where I was.....and we did it early enough in the process (about 2 months ago) so that I could make any corrections needed before going for final qualification (as I'm right on the brink of hitting 700 which changes my whole game as far as options!!)

Agree with Relevate.... if you don't need the CC's get them as low as you can!  I'm seeing bigger increases with in score with every one that's paid down.  Will pay all CCs down to $0 except one... Will leave that one under the recommended 9% and see how it all pans out.  That's the recommended "sweet spot".

Good luck & let us know how your scores compare to the mortgage pull... we're always curious about that stuff!  (at least I AM!) Smiley Happy

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Barneygirl, good to hear that the ScorePower is closer to what the mortgage lenders pull since that one is higher for me by some 30 points. I'll definitely post what I get from the mortgage lender vs ScorePower & MyFICO.  Good luck with your mortgage app!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edited to reflect accurate use of Efx Complete subscription plan vs ScorePower, which I previously had confused.

Quick update on this in case anyone is interested:

Lender pull was Efx 699, TU 709, Exp 748

Same-day Efx Complete was Efx 731. Other scores were a couple weeks old, but no major balance changes etc.  TU 728, Exp 729

Same-day MyFICO updates were Efx 695, TU 705, Exp 721

CreditKarma showed TU 750

Nothing was spot-on, but MyFICO was closest on Equifax and TransUnion. Don't think I'll keep the Score Power subscription.

This was a mortgage lending pull.  Scoring methods listed are TU FICO Classic 04, XPN/FAIR, ISAAC Model II, and EFX Facta Beacon 5.0.

Efx Completer Efx score dropped 2 pts following the hard pull. MyFICO took longer to pick up the hard pull and rose 6 pts, but there were other accts reporting the same day and a couple balances dropped.

I'll update if/when I get another set of scores to compare.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW your power score was THAT far off from Lender EQ???? 

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick update on this in case anyone is interested:

Lender pull was Efx 699, TU 709, Exp 748

Same-day Score Power was Efx 731. Other scores were a couple weeks old, but no major balance changes etc.  TU 728, Exp 729

Same-day MyFICO updates were Efx 695, TU 705, Exp 721

CreditKarma showed TU 750

Nothing was spot-on, but MyFICO was closest on Equifax and TransUnion. Don't think I'll keep the Score Power subscription.

This was a mortgage lending pull.  Scoring methods listed are TU FICO Classic 04, XPN/FAIR, ISAAC Model II, and EFX Facta Beacon 5.0.

ScorePower Efx score dropped 2 pts following the hard pull. MyFICO took longer to pick up the hard pull and rose 6 pts, but there were other accts reporting the same day and a couple balances dropped.

I'll update if/when I get another set of scores to compare.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something is a miss with this.... Score Power isn't subscription based. It's a one-time buy EQ 04 ONLY.  Fairly certain the OP is pulling EQ's subscription 3-bureau service which isn't FICO. I've sent many a people to buy their ScorePower right before a mortgage pull and it's never been wrong.   

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eric, you are correct. I thought the Efx subscription service was ScorePower but now know it's not. Well, nothing to be gained by spending $20 and getting it now.

Sorry for the misleading info- I'll see if I can edit my OP.  This makes the Efx subscription seem even less useful than I thought a couple of days ago.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.