cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score formula makes no sense, here's why..............

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score formula makes no sense, here's why..............

Statistical analysis. I guess it is simply grouping & averaging. You know what they say about averages: "While the average describes everybody, it really describes nobody."

<<<effectively, once one reaches 760, it makes no difference>>>

It does to us "completists!"

Message 11 of 21
Guardian
Valued Contributor

To oversimplify and maybe lower the sting of your disappointment a bit, remember how in college they would "curve" the class grades? The ones who got As to begin with would feel cheated when the D, C students would get bumped up to C and B and even B to A. So any statistical model or model of averages is bound to help some more than they deserve and marginalize some that have earned it, its unfair but its part of life. You are in an excellent position that most people would give a limb to be and so be thankful for that and try not to let it get to you so much.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guardian,

Thanks for injecting some perspective into my maniacal, **bleep**, ice-in-the-veins mindset. I guess I need to just relax a bit. I'm sure that when I'm on my deathbed, I'm not going to be inquiring about my FICO score, or whether or not the formula is fair. :-)

Jerry

Message 13 of 21
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fair Isaac's formula is flawed and archaic. It could be a lot better at formulating scores. I should have a score of at least 825? They say the scores range to a high of 850. How the heck would one get a score of 850????? I've done everything perfect (including over twenty years of sterling credit history), and mine is 787???? Ridiculous!

It took 30 years of pristine credit history for me to finally receive an Experian score of 842!

It took me 27 years of pristine credit history for me to hit an EX of 826, so perhaps I might hit 842 in a few yearsSmiley Wink

But 787 is quite sufficient for nearly all purposes, additional points above the high 700s have little practical importance.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 14 of 21
marty56
Super Contributor

4 more years to go for my major derog to fall off my CR and then I will be above 800.  That will make it 34 years for me which includes an almost 26 years of my CC reign of terror.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 15 of 21
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Guardian,

Thanks for injecting some perspective into my maniacal, **bleep**, ice-in-the-veins mindset. I guess I need to just relax a bit. I'm sure that when I'm on my deathbed, I'm not going to be inquiring about my FICO score, or whether or not the formula is fair. :-)

Jerry

Jerry, you are most welcome and again this was in no way to minimize your frustration which I am sure everyone undestands all too well but rather that when you get that high on the pedistole, the only place you can go is down. In a a-backward way, that's a compliment to you that miniscule stuff can "hurt" you so to speak. The good thing about all this is that till the end we continue to inquire and challenge the status quo and make it better, that's all we can hope for. good times, Michael.

Message 16 of 21
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It took 30 years of pristine credit history for me to finally receive an Experian score of 842!

....and the moment you "reward" yourself and actually use that score to get a loan (or any kind of new credit account), your score will go down.

Well, isn't it ironic?

Message 17 of 21
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@ScoreBooster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

....and the moment you "reward" yourself and actually use that score to get a loan (or any kind of new credit account), your score will go down.

Well, isn't it ironic?

darn tootin Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guardian wrote:

@ScoreBooster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, isn't it ironic?

darn tootin Smiley Very Happy

If I want to maintain that score, I'll have to stick to just doing product changes for the rest of my life!Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 21
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I want to maintain that score, I'll have to stick to just doing product changes for the rest of my life!Smiley Very Happy

Seems that way Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.