Valued Contributor
oracles

Re: Score going down!?!!!

fico, find out what the late payments are and write GW letters or call up the companies.
fico12

The big 90+ late from 2001 is from my student loans - Sallie Mae is the lender. That definitely appears to be the mark that AmEx picked up as it the only 90+ on my record I can see. (even tho neither bureau is openly reporting it in my summary)

What is a GW letter? And what exactly would I say to Sallie Mae when I called them?

Also, Equinox stated that one thing working against me was in fact that I have no major cards from the major companies (Visa, MCm etc) open or active. While I have been getting conflicting advice/info on this I am going to try to open a card and keep it minimally active. Do you advise for or against this?

Thank you so much for the continued advice.

ps: I am also scheduled to meet and talk with a financial planner from work on Thursday, hopefully he/she can shed some light on my issues and help out.
fico12

Searched and found it myself, hehe.

GW = Goodwill letter

I will try that with Sallie Mae. Hopefully considering I have not missed any payments since 2001 and the loan will be off their books in a year or so they won't have any problem helping. We'll see!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+