cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score has dropped twice and yet no changes on credit report

tag
prim2007

Score has dropped twice and yet no changes on credit report

I need a better explanation then the generic one provided by myFico that says this:
"There was a change on your credit report that lowered your score but did not trigger an alert. For example, the balance on an account might have increased enough to lower your score, but not enough to trigger a balance increase alert or You moved from one category of credit users to another as time passed..."

I can see no changes related to balances or anything else in the past 3 months, only an address change yet my score has dropped twice over a 3 month period.  I'm still in the higest credit category but just barely now. Tthis is discerning when your score keeps going down and nothing is changing.

Can someone tell me how I can learn more about why this is happening?  There has to be a specific calculation.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score has dropped twice and yet no changes on credit report

How much has it dropped?

Bear in mind fluctuations in the 3-5 point range are pretty much the standard level of "noise" in FICO scoring, and aren't a sign anything terrible is happening.
Message 2 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
How much has it dropped?

Bear in mind fluctuations in the 3-5 point range are pretty much the standard level of "noise" in FICO scoring, and aren't a sign anything terrible is happening.

Mine is fluctuating randomly between 772 and 790+, and has been for 6 months
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 7
prim2007

I received an alert that it dropped 7 points which sounds like a lot.
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@prim2007 wrote:

I need a better explanation then the generic one provided by myFico that says this:
"There was a change on your credit report that lowered your score but did not trigger an alert. For example, the balance on an account might have increased enough to lower your score, but not enough to trigger a balance increase alert or You moved from one category of credit users to another as time passed..."

I can see no changes related to balances or anything else in the past 3 months, only an address change yet my score has dropped twice over a 3 month period. I'm still in the higest credit category but just barely now. This is discerning when your score keeps going down and nothing is changing.

Can someone tell me how I can learn more about why this is happening? There has to be a specific calculation.

It sounds like you're in a new score bucket. Did an old baddie fall off, or has your overall or average credit age perhaps gotten older?

We are divided into different score "buckets", sharing common characteristics with other consumers. So there's a bucket for people brand new to credit, another for those who have one or more collections, a third for those with public judgements, and so forth. I added onto my husband's nice old Discover card to mooch some history and lost 15 points, because suddenly I was being compared to those with long credit history, and I looked pretty shabby.

The good news is that my scores recovered in 4-6 weeks (sounds like forever now, I know) and since have gone much, much higher. After the initial pain, this allows your scores to grow even higher, because your new bucket has a higher ceiling.

If we all started out competing on an equal footing with psychic and Scout and MidnightVoice and the others, we'd all be mired in the 300's forever, or at least until they finally died off. That would be sort of a brutal way of increasing one's scores!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

So hauling you are done with the rebucketing dragging down your scores already? Congrats.
Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smallfry wrote:
So hauling you are done with the rebucketing dragging down your scores already? Congrats.

Oh, Lord, yes. My EQ was 651 when I got re-bucketed, dropped to 636. This was in October. In February, before my app frenzy, EQ was 728, TU was 734, and EX was 752. So this was in less than 4 months.

Now I'm back in a new bucket, as best as I can tell, after dropping my average age by an impressive degree.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.