Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score took a plunge

tag
User273165
Regular Contributor

Score took a plunge

So I got my last collection removed last month and my score jumped up to 786! I canceled my score watch because I was tired of paying for it, I just resigned up and my score has dropped from 786 to 756 in a matter of about 3 weeks.  There is nothing new on my report and I havent signed for anything.  I just dont understand why there would be such a hge drop for no reason!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Score took a plunge

I was jealous of your score so I reported false info to the CRA. 

Message 2 of 8
User273165
Regular Contributor

Haha atleast that would give me an explanation as to why Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

So you got your last baddie removed?  Could be a case of rebucketing?   I don't know.  Maybe something else fell off as well. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 8
User273165
Regular Contributor

Yes, it was a paid collection from about 5 years ago.  They removed it and it jumped to 786 then three weeks later it took a plunge. I know it s not that big of a deal because anything over 750 is great, but I really liked that 786 lol it made 800 seem that much more attainable...

Message 5 of 8
User273165
Regular Contributor

I think I may ahve figured it out.....  I compared the two reports and found a difference. The 786 report had only one negative factor and that was an account opened 6 months ago.  The 756 had 2 negative factors: an account opened 6 months ago and also a short credit history, oldest of 8 years ago and average age at 3 years.

I guess once the collection was removed the age of the accounts became a bigger factor and that dropped the score?

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AJC1987 wrote:

I think I may ahve figured it out.....  I compared the two reports and found a difference. The 786 report had only one negative factor and that was an account opened 6 months ago.  The 756 had 2 negative factors: an account opened 6 months ago and also a short credit history, oldest of 8 years ago and average age at 3 years.

I guess once the collection was removed the age of the accounts became a bigger factor and that dropped the score?

That's certainly possible.  My understanding is that different metrics carry different weights dependent on what bucket you're in (which determines the range of your scores). In general, the higher you are, the more any one given point of negative information affects you.  

It's really hard to say in this case, but sounds simply like you need to just sit back and enjoy the ride Smiley Happy.  

        
Message 7 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@AJC1987 wrote:

That's certainly possible.  My understanding is that different metrics carry different weights dependent on what bucket you're in (which determines the range of your scores). In general, the higher you are, the more any one given point of negative information affects you.  

It's really hard to say in this case, but sounds simply like you need to just sit back and enjoy the ride Smiley Happy.  

+1 you probably went from the top end in one bucket to the low end of the next bucket.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.