Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score went down 22 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score went down 22 points

I don't have a fico score yet because my credit accounts are under 6 months old. I have a Capital one card, a Kohls card, and an Alliant SSL. Today my SSL through alliant reported and my credit wise vantagescore went down 22 points. Is this normal?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score went down 22 points

Who knows.  It's a VantageScore, so it's more or less irrelevant since no real lenders will ever look at it.  If you SSL reported and you have no other installment loan present, that's usually good for a 25-30 point gain on your FICO scores.  I'm sure you already know this, as that's likely the reason you implemented it.  If something is going to make your FICO scores go up 20+ points but it means your VS 3.0's drop 20+, that's absolutely fine so don't sweat it.

Message 2 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Balances (not util, balances. Util is separate at 20%) make up 11% of the Vantage Score model, so because the SSL increased your overall balance, it makes sense your score would drop. FICO, however, may have the reverse response if this is your first installment. Try not to worry too much about the Vantage Score. Look at it this way... I recently had a state tax lien removed... vantage gained only 3(!) points while fico gained 70. They are completely different scoring models and therefore, weigh aspects of credit differently.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 8
arkane
Established Contributor

Nobody uses VantageScore, don't sweat it. That said I'm one of the few (or only one) who experienced a score drop when the SSL started reporting.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 4 of 8
Poppa
Established Contributor

Perfectly normal. Same thing happened to me. Fico score shot up and Vantage score went down. Fico is all that matters. 

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, how far off are you from 6 months of credit history?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 more months

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

2 more months

Cool, so you're have a real world (FICO) score very soon!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.